Thread: 73 RS Replica for Sale on E-bay

73 RS Replica for Sale on E-bay

Hello Gentlemen.
    I am a new to this forum and have been looking for a nice RS Replica for some time now.
    I'm sure this car has been discussed in the past - it's been on e-bay before. I just cant' find the threads - or your comments on the car. It looks to be the sister car to the Orange soft window targa that many of you would like to see go away!! It's for sale by the same company in Colorado. Hopefully this is the right spot for my questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Looks like a really nice Replica with original seats and interior. However,
    I spoke to the seller and he confirmed to me that 95% of the car is fiberglass. This includes the door panels, front fenders, rear fenders, bumpers, etc. According to him, none of the original steel is left except the roof.

My question is how does this affect the value of the car? Short term and long term? Could it still be considered a decient 1973 S if replacement steel parts are put back on? How expensive of a project is that?
    I am seriously considering purchasing this car and would appreciate your comments, suggestions, and advice!!
    Thanks in advance!

Welcome VinnyC, do a search in any of the catagories and you'll find some good info here. I believe this car has been discussed. As for the RS replica, it sadens me to see an early S cut especially one with an original engine and sport seats. The T's were produced in greater #'s. The replicas are gaining in value lately, and if done correctly can be quite a bargain compared to the cost of a real RS. If you start with this car being an S originally you can go back to narrow body but it is original only once and will never get the same premium as an original one. No matter how much cash you throw at it.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Hi Vinny
    Im just getting into older Porsches and not that knowledgeable(I am learning alot from this board as well as others, Thanks guys) I'm sure that everyone that replys here knows more than I do. That car has been for sale for a while and I am also looking for something like that(I think I will end up building my own if I can ever find a good car to start on) I think the car is MUCH to expensive for what it is. I have been trying to justify the price but I can't. I don't think the fact that it is an "S" is a factor. It is not like it is a decent price so retuning it to original is an option(also I don't think anyone looking for a car like wants to do that anyway) and as a clone it seems to be all looks. If you figure in how much it will cost to change the motor,suspension,etc.,etc. I just don't think it is good as an "S", or as a clone , at that price. It does look good, but why is it so high? Anyway, I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do.
    Rich

I responded to a question on this car over on Pelican concerning the possibility of this being a matching #s car. Check it out.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=257556

If I was considering this car I would want to make sure it was matching to help with the value of the car as an 'S'. If it is matching and the mechanicals are sound as determined by a independent PPI then drive it and enjoy it for what it is and don't put the large amount of money into it to bring it back to stock now. If you keep it long term then you could consider a return to stock. Rich has good point, this car is very expensive for an RS-look with a stock 2.4L engine.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Did you mean fiberglass doors (you said door panels)? If it has fiberglass doors I wouldn't consider it for a street car unless your going to change them back to steel doors. No protecting from side impact amoung other things. If your going to track it you will need to make sure there is adaquate protecting around the doors. If you want an RS clone, the base model shouldn't be that important vs the quality of the conversion. I would prefer a non "S" clone so I could drive it with wanton abadonment.
    It would cost a lot to convert this back to an "S". It would be awhile before you would recoup your investment.
    Harold #334
    '73S coupe
    '75 RS replica track car

I asked the seller to put a magnet on each panel for me to determine which were steel and which were fiberglass. He told me that the magnet did not stick to the doors, fenders, bumpers, etc. It stuck to the roof only.
    So is it possible that the doors are fiberglass exterior panels?? Could they be completely fiberglass?? Why would anyone would do this when building a replica other than the original doors were distroyed or not available? I could understand the weight reduction factor but to trade off for safety would be stupid.

About the only reason for fiberglass doors is weight savings for race purposes. Typically one would add additional bracing to the roll cage in the door area as added protection. At that point you would also get rid of the window mechanism and glass and go to a pull up lexan window for even lighter weight.
    If the car has the stock mechanism and glass you might ask the dealer to check the door in a bunch of areas. Could be just a lot of bondo on a steel door. This is a stretch, but they could also be aluminum doors.
    I would decide what your goal for this car is. You could buy a pretty decent "S" for the same cost as buying this one and the expense of converting it back, not to mention all the down time.
    H #334

Not to metion most F/G is of pretty poor quality. The finish will not look near as nice as steel parts. Good for race track bad for street car.
    Phil