Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Piece

Interesting Piece

The pictures below are of the front steel “S” spoiler that was on the 71 S I purchased back in April. Notice the cut outs for the lights. They house Hella 128’s with 55W H1’s. I have read on this board and others that the “S” spoiler was not available until 1972 and also that they did not have the cut outs. This has puzzled me because the workmanship of the spoiler appeared to be original.

Mystery Solved! A couple of days ago I was finally able to get in touch with the original owner. I told him that I had purchased his old car and that I’d like to ask him a few questions about it. Before I could even mention it he said “you know, that car has a special front spoiler”. Turns out that he bought the car in Zuffenhausen Stuttgart at the factory in July of 1971 and drove it over there for a couple of months before bringing it back to the States. He said that the car was ordered and delivered with the spoiler as well as with thru the grill driving lights! He said that the spoiler was an option that was available on rally cars at that time. Anyone have pictures of pre 72 rally cars that might show this spoiler?

Thanks, John
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

I find it hard to believe. I dont mean to be critical but!!
    Even the first few hundred 1972 S car's came supplied with glass front bumpers, so why do you have a steel unit on a 71',,, as there was still no finished tooling yet in place at the time. Unless the original owner can come up with picture's when the car was new it wil be hard to prove.

Also,, where are your oil cooler lines?

Regards, Robert Gross

Regardless of what can be proven or not, that spoiler is definitely steel, and those cut-outs look professionally done..note the rolled edges. The same basic spoiler shape was used on the 908, so Porsche had the knowledge way before the shape was introduced as a production item on the 1972 911S. The
    factory has a fleet of "special" customers back then, sort of like Sienfeld (sp?)is now. Could the original owner have had a bit of "pull" at the factory? Anything's possible.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

First photo with hood up looks to have a 110 ltr. plastic tank ?
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

How about some pics of the interior of the cutouts and the fog mounting brackets? I would expect the same light mounting brackets as the original 69-72 non-spoiler front bumpers.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

This year i saw a steel s bumper, with the fog light holes, i have been looking for it, but apperantly it was a special order, they do how ever make them at request in germany, mittle motor.

It looks like a standard steel bumper with the lips welded on.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

A couple more pictures. Yes, the car does have a plastic tank but it was not original to the car.
    A view of the cut out from the backside. I also thought that maybe a lip was welded on a stock bumper but there is absolutely no sign that's the case.
    I took the cooler, lines, and other stuff off to clean them up a bit while the car is at the paint shop.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver

Got any other pics of the fog light bracket detail?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael,

I have some good pics of the brackets on the back of the spoiler that I can send you if you would send me your email address. They are to large to post here and I don't know how to resize them. Maybe you could resize them and post here?

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver