Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price estimate for 1969 911S w/o engine

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Price estimate for 1969 911S w/o engine

I am curious what my 1969 911S might bring if I sold it without the engine and tranny which I am both rebuilding and might sell later giving the buyer of the rest of the car the first option. What do you thinks its worth? See pics.
    (it has matching numbers, CofA, color change, paint is in good condition,
    new houndstooth and original seats, no rust, it is a California car,)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why would you ever want to separate them in the first place? It's common knowledge that the top value of the car can only be realized when the motor and transmission numbers are matching and original to the car.

rickwoodmansee
    reg #699

To finance the rebuilding of the engine and tranny.

Your thinking is too "short term".
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Not a bad option for someone buying an original no rust sport seat early S, with the first right of refusal on a rebuilt original motor. The bad side is you are the seller. Selling a solid, nice looking by the way, shell you are taking a beating compared to the same car with a rebuilt original motor complete. If you are looking to sell the car then make it a condition of sale that they buy the car complete with a rebuild. Buyer pays for the parts and labor and you don't have to fork out the cash. Best scenario for you as a seller would be to complete the rebuild and get top dollar.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Well YOU know what it was bid up to on the attempted Ebay sale and it was not disclosed at that time that it needed the engine rebuilt. Start with that value for an answer to your question...even less. It would be better to sell it as a matching numbers car needing a rebuild than to seperate the two. There is definately a premium for matching numbers original engines. You are shooting yourself in the foot if you go the seperating route.

Don, do you have a plan? From your posts you seem to be all over the place with this car. First, you're selling the car. Then you're keeping it and rebuilding the engine. Then you are going to turn it into some sort of clone. Now, you're considering parting out the shell and separating the engine from the car?

Do you think you can rebuild the engine correctly and do it at a profit? Do you think a buyer would pay a premium for an engine rebuild performed by a DIYer with no previous experience? You've already sold off a key piece from your car, the MFI. And apparently you're selling off other worthwhile bits. In the end, what are you left with? Is the car as it presently sits beyond hope? It doesn't appear that way from the photos and it didn't appear that way from your ebay ad.

At a time when people are going to all lengths to make complete cars from parts, you're going the opposite direction: parting out what appears to be a solid car. I just can't believe that the value of a true S isn't greatest with all major parts intact. If you've lost interest in the car, I think you are best served by selling it as a whole as it sits.

I must say, though, I look forward to reading your posts. I never know what to expect. Good luck.

I would prefer to keep a complete S with matching numbers until I save enough money to rebuilt the engine, than to sell the body to finance the rebuilt of an engine without the matching chassis.

I think you'd have a tough time trying to find a buyer for the roller only. Especially when they know you have the matching #'s engine and won't be selling that to them right away.

If you sell the roller:
    - Why do you think the new owner would want YOU to rebuild the engine?
    - Why would you rebuild the engine if you have no car to put it in?
    - Why are you starting to part out some things on Pelican? ie passenger sports seat, door pockets, etc

I agree with a post above - you seem a bit all over the place with where you want to go with this car.
    I don't want to sound harsh but, if you truly can't afford a rebuild, maybe owning an early Porsche isn't for you. Sell it whole to someone that can do the work to their specs.

AM

I have not done anything yet but sell the MFI. Otherwise I am just getting opinions. I am not even sure the engine needs a rebuild. After I put the car on Ebay the engine developed an oil leak that dripped onto the heat exchanger and made alot of smoke. So I pulled the engine to fix the leak. I could fix the leak for almost nothing but after I took it out my son, who normally has no interest in cars of any kind, expressed an interest in working on the engine with me. So doing more than just fixing the leak seemed attractive. So rebuilding the engine became a project worth doing on its own if it did not involve investing any more money. I have 3 Porsches and about $85K invested in them. I thought I could finance the rebuild by selling different parts. I sold the luggage rack off my 356, the CIS off my 81SC, the MFI, and some other things. Maybe I should just fix the leak and put it back in.
    So, yeah I have been all over the place. But I haven't really done anything yet other than seek advice and sell the MFI since I love Webers.