Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elephant Bushings

Elephant Bushings

Need a project before the car comes out in the spring. Looking for some input regarding the Elephant suspension bushings. My car has replacement bushings and they squeak pretty bad. I have given up spraying/squirting everything imaginable on the current ones and am thinking about replacing them with the poly bronze from Elephant. I would like to do the control arms, and the spring plate bushings and maybe the monoballs. I don't want the ride to be race track harsh but would like to tighten things up a bit. Based on my concept of the physics involved, it shouldn't affect the ride much but will help the handling.

My questions are:
    How does it affect the ride quality and handling?
    How do the monoballs affect the ride (both a-arm and front). Are they ok for the street or strictly a track item?
    How easy are all of these to install?
    Any other brands I should consider besides these?

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Aircool
    Need a project before the car comes out in the spring. Looking for some input regarding the Elephant suspension bushings. My car has replacement bushings and they squeak pretty bad. I have given up spraying/squirting everything imaginable on the current ones and am thinking about replacing them with the poly bronze from Elephant. I would like to do the control arms, and the spring plate bushings and maybe the monoballs. I don't want the ride to be race track harsh but would like to tighten things up a bit. Based on my concept of the physics involved, it shouldn't affect the ride much but will help the handling.

My questions are:
    How does it affect the ride quality and handling?
    How do the monoballs affect the ride (both a-arm and front). Are they ok for the street or strictly a track item?
    How easy are all of these to install?
    Any other brands I should consider besides these?
    Hi Steve:

IMHO, the Elephant Poly-Bronze suspension bushings have very minimal impacts on ride quality and in fact, ride better than the factory rubber ones (not to even mention the urethane ones) due to lack of suspension friction that offers a mure supple ride.

Needless to say, handling is much improved due to a reduction in toe changes
    as the suspension is loaded up in corners.

Monoballs are best suited for track use as they extoll a sacrifice in noise-vibration-harshness. Thats one of the fundamental differences between race cars and street cars,....

I'm not aware of anyone making these re-greasable poly-bronze bushings and you'll find the Elephant ones to be very well made.

We sell a pretty fair amount of them and they are not difficult to install for a moderately experienced DIY'er who can follow directions. You might need some assistance in removing the old rubber bushings, but thats it. If your chassis has ever been in an accident, you might need the Precision Installation kit to facilitate getting everything in alignment to prevent binding.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Elephant Bushings

Thanks for the info Steve. It is just a driver so I am not looking to shake things up too much. Do you sell these outright or only with an installation? If outright I will look you up when the time comes.
    Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I've had the Elephant bushings on my '68S for two years and I would echo the Rennsport observations; I'm glad that I made the change. I did not install them myself, so am unable to comment on that aspect.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Quote Originally Posted by SWBS
    Steve,

I've had the Elephant bushings on my '68S for two years and I would echo the Rennsport observations; I'm glad that I made the change. I did not install them myself, so am unable to comment on that aspect.

Jim
    Elephant bushings for rear spring plates as well or just A-arms?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aircool
    Thanks for the info Steve. It is just a driver so I am not looking to shake things up too much. Do you sell these outright or only with an installation? If outright I will look you up when the time comes.
    Thanks,

Steve
    LOL,..Happy to be of assistance, anytime.

Indeed, I have them on shelf all the time so just drop me a line or call when you want them.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Just a note...

If you do the Elephant fronts, get Chuck's mounting/alignment kits too. Once you see/use them, you'll know why and you'll be doing yourself and the car a favor.

Tip: The old rubber ones could tolerate misalignment quite well.

Elephant Bushings

Zeke, Are you talking about the control arm mounts?

He's talking about the front control arms. There's a self-aligning bracket made for the front bushings on the front control/A arms.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

What about the Low-Friction Control Arm Mounts Elephant offer as well?
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500