Thread: Re: Train Wreck-German Autofest 2004

Re: Train Wreck-German Autofest 2004

I know this is old news but I was just looking at the Pelican site and came upon this. What a shame! What happened? (Besides the obvious, a train wreck.) Looks like several great early cars were lost. Did the Speedster live again?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    There were three Speedsters on that truck.

I think I heard that one of the Speedsters might have been brought back, but that's rumor at best. Maybe somebody else knows the truth.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I think I heard that one of the Speedsters might have been brought back, but that's rumor at best
    Lat year when I spoke to John Wilburg he mentioned that he was supposed to restore one of them. I don't know if it really happened.

Richard

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I didn't see that you had also asked "what happened?"

I saw the transporter as I drove away--I think the crash was about 10 minutes after I left. The story was that the truck driver took a short cut away from the Ventura Fairgrounds and got the trailer high-centered on the railroad tracks. The tracks were a little bit raised.

There was an attempt to cntact the railroad, but there's a lot of rail traffic there. It only took a few minutes before a train came.

There were rumors that neither the shipper (European Collectables) nor the truck owner had insurance. At least the insurance companies--if any--are supposed to have found reasons why their policies didn't cover a Porsche on the back of a high-centered truck being hit by a train.

There might have been some legal action against insurance companies--if so I know no details. I don't even know if the railroad has been paid for the damage to the train.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet