Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: problems with a Stoddards dash

problems with a Stoddards dash

Has anyone had a problem with a dash purchased from Stoddards? I purchased a $1,000.00 dash and proceeded to install it, all the holes lined up but the cut outs for the defrost vent and radio where way off more than 1/2'' and the metal dash was exposed!! I'll post a picture tonight. When I called to request a dash change out the lady on the other end acted like I was scamming her . They are going to let me send it back and they will inspect it before they make a desision to send me another Whats going on? I've always have had friendly service from Stoddards. I will keep this post informed on the progress. I'm sending it back Monday.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Dash

i bought a dash from a porsche dealer;WHEN IT WAS INSTALLED THE HOLES DIDN'T LINE UP PROPERLY,SOME DRILLING REQUIRED;I'VE HEARD THIS FROM OTHERS;TRY PLACEING THE OPENS FOR RADIO VENT AND ADJUST THE HOLES;JUST A THOUGHT

I did drill holes for the bolts in the front to match. It fits flush in the front and the pop in holes matched fine, the cut outs for the defrost vent and radio looked like they where cut by a drunk toddler.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Frank's on the right page.
    These OE replacement dashs DON'T fit right. Don't bother sending it back, you will get another exactly like it. You have to drill holes and "fit" the new dash.

It seems like nobody wants to believe me here. Maybe Evren will weigh in and back me up. www.justdashes.com did a fabulous job of remanufacturing a cracked dash that he bought out of a being parted out 1971T. It should match his 1971 911E perfectly. The turnaround time was lengthy, but evidently well worth the wait in order to avoid fitment problems. I compared this dash with my own original dash, and IMHO, no concours judge in the land could tell the difference. Mike, by "radio", you're meaning the speaker grill? Just dashes did insist that the original grill come with the dash...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

$1000 plus modifications to make a dash work. Seems like the cheaper alternative is to take the cracked dash (with orig. holes that line up) and have it restored. Tony @ Autobahn interiors quoted me around $350
    to restore a dash including the speaker grille.
    How much does Justdashes charge??
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Type911
    $1000 plus modifications to make a dash work. Seems like the cheaper alternative is to take the cracked dash (with orig. holes that line up) and have it restored. Tony @ Autobahn interiors quoted me around $350
    to restore a dash including the speaker grille.
    How much does Justdashes charge??
    I understand that just dashes raised their prices since they did Evren's dash (now finally in Istanbul, it sat here for nearly a year until we figured out a shipping method.) then it was around $450. Do you know the method Tony uses to restore? You can see how just dashes does it on their website...they pretty much use the old to make a new one, with vacuum moulding, pretty much like the original was made.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    Now, if you own a SWB car you can have it recovered. It comes out in 10 minutes or less and can be re-installed in 10 minutes. Ain't it great?

Tom
    The first time I removed the top dash from my '65 I gave it a yank and found myself holding a dashboard and thinking "Is that all there is to do?"

Of course, you do need to spend some time lying in the trunk fiddling with the nuts holding the front of the dash.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Tom, You make a sound arguement for the SWB cars. Reminds me of one a "Native American" once told me. In the old days, the Braves hunted & fished, and the Squaws did all the work. Then the white man came along and "improved" things. Well, in the old days, there was the SWB 911...then things got "improved".

OK Paul, I am going to take the challenge. I am sending a dash to just dashes tomorrow! Do they make the speaker grill too?