Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche books - favorites list

Porsche books - favorites list

Hey everyone, ever since receiving a Barnes & Noble gift card for Christmas I've been trying to decide which new Porsche book to buy. I'm leaning towards the new "Porsche 911: Perfection by Design" by Randy Leffingwell and wondered if anyone could recommend it.

But this got me to thinking about starting a new thread. I think most of have our favorites and wondered if we could start a list of recommendations. This list can cover our typical refernces guides (like Brett Johnson's "911 And 912 Porsche: A Restorers Guide to Authenticity", The RS Book, etc.) or racing histories, coffe table/picture books, and so on. So, what do you all like?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

books

Tom, I just bought that book and it is quite nice. Maybe no new information, but a nice book good photos. Here are a few others that I enjoy that are still available...I think.

Great Porsche Books:

Excellance was Expected --K. Ludvigsen
    911/912 Restoration Guide -- ? ( Its on Loan)
    The Original Porsche 911 -- P Morgan
    Porsche-Road to Zuffenhausen --D. Adler
    The Porsche 911 Red Book -- P Paternie
    Porsche 911 Story -- P Fre're
    Porsche 911 Performance Handbook -- B Anderson
    Porsche Legends -- R Leffingwell
    Porsche Portrait of a Legend -- I Seif
    The Complete Porsche -- Laban
    Porsche - Essence of Performance
    The Gold Plated Porsche -- T Wilkenson
    101 Prpojects for the Porsche 911 -- W Dempsy
    How to Rebuild and Modify the 911 Engine -- W Dempsy

Not so Good Book:
    Porsche 911 -- Letinello (many errors, and ugly cars)
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Thanks Michael, that's the kind of list I was thinking of. I'm sure a lot of us have the same things in our bookcases, but you never know.

Has anyone seen the book "Porsche: Brochures and Sales Literature source book 1948-1965" by Susan Miller and Richard Merritt? There is an ad for it in the latest Panorama. As a graphic designer, I'm always interested in Porsche's printed pieces and wondered about the quality of this book.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Rather than repeat those, I'll just add ...

Targa Florio, The Porsche Years. 1965-1973
    Brooklands Books compiled by R.M. Clarke

A UK issue of newspaper accounts of the races from Autosport,Motor Sports Motor Racing, Motor, Autocar, C+D, R+T

Pretty cool.I will have to get the ones on the Le Mans years and the Mille Miglia as well.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

"Porsche: Brochures and Sales Literature source book 1948-1965"

Hadn't heard of that one Tom. But I do have "Porsche Catalogues - A Visual History from 1948 to Present" by Malcom TooGood. 1991 Publication, now out of print I believe. Mainly advertisements and posters. It's good.

Two other favorites are "Porsche Specials" by Boschen and Barth and "The Racing Baron - Huschke Von Hanstein".

If you want to get into where it all started, get some Auto Union stuff -- "Racing the Silver Arrows" and "Hitler's Grands Prix of England" are 2 good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    "Porsche: Brochures and Sales Literature source book 1948-1965"

Hadn't heard of that one Tom.
    Curt,

There are two editions 1978 and 1985. 1985 is more complete but I believe it leaves out some of racing brochures that the '78 edition has.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

one of the best

french kiss of death,I have all the others

There are two editions 1978 and 1985. 1985 is more complete but I believe it leaves out some of racing brochures that the '78 edition has.
    .. 3 now.

She just came out w/ the a reedition (that's why the ad is in Pano). It has some (16 or so) 'new' discovered brochures.

In the book you find complete copies of the original brochures, a joy to see the old brochures.

There are only 2 or so 911 brochures and I think the 904, all others are 356 (related).

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by racemor
    Hey everyone, ever since receiving a Barnes & Noble gift card for Christmas I've been trying to decide which new Porsche book to buy. I'm leaning towards the new "Porsche 911: Perfection by Design" by Randy Leffingwell and wondered if anyone could recommend it.

But this got me to thinking about starting a new thread. I think most of have our favorites and wondered if we could start a list of recommendations. This list can cover our typical refernces guides (like Brett Johnson's "911 And 912 Porsche: A Restorers Guide to Authenticity", The RS Book, etc.) or racing histories, coffe table/picture books, and so on. So, what do you all like?
    Tom:

Nice book and there are a few cars in it from your neck of the woods too!

Barnes and Noble had them marked down 20% plus an additional 10% if you were a "card carrying" book club member. That's cheap because the book retails for $50.00.

Tom

"Excellence was Expected"...original version. Sure it ends with the later 70's cars, but that's fine with me.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)