Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguisher mounting

Fire Extinguisher mounting

Okay, I'm guilty. I still don't carry a fire extinguisher. After battles with an insurance company when I had an engine fire in my 1970 911T, I vowed to just stand back & let it burn the next time. Guess I've changed my mind. I'm thinking in the range of a five pound Halon unit? Anything better out there now? The biggest question: How to mount one without drilling any holes?
    Responses more than welcome.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul,

I've been smoked for this one before (mostly from the big time racers) but I've mounted my extinguisher on the trans coupler inspection cover between the seats... and it's been there for 15 years

1- Get a 10 BC extinguisher with metal bracket
    2 - Get another inspection cover (junk yard, swap, etc... about $5-$10)
    3 - Line up extinguisher front to back and drill cover ...
    4 - Mount with the largest hardware that will go through the bracket.

Outcome:
    - You have an extinguisher within reach...
    - You have saved your original inspection cover, and drilled no hole in the car
    - It will pass tech for most low level events...
    - AND, if mounted properly, WILL NOT loosen or move...

If you like I'll post some pics for'ya later

Hope this helps,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I use the Brey Krause mount that attaches to the passenger seat rails. I'm not sure if they make a version to accomodate all seats though.

I think it retails for $75 though they seem to come up used for $50 every now & then.
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

Talking Fire!!!!

Paul, did my comment on the other thread get you thinking??

Well, I do what Chuck has done. Just get an extra cover from EASY or ??? and mount it. Simple and effective. Also, apparently Concourse judges ingnore safety equiptment. (Does that include full roll cages???)

CHeers,
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Thanks guys! Yep, that's what got me thinking...the pics thread. Brey Krause mount? Pics? Where to buy? Still exploring options, but will probably go the cover plate route, though passenger seat rails sounds like a faster grab...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul,

You can mount in behind the passenger seat using the lower luggage strap mounting. You will need to drill one new hole in the bracket.

Don

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    i use a 2.5 lb halon one, and i mount it to the shift coupler access pannel in the back. the one i have has holes in the bracket that match up to the coupler access tunnel. just use longer screws to compensate for the thickness of the bracket.

while it is in the back, its still easy to get to in an emergency. just reach back, flip the two latches, grab it and go.

i like this because no drilling or unnecessary mods, i dont have to mess with seat brackets, just two screws.

2.5 lbs of halon was more than enough to save my ass this summer when my drivers side solex lit up in beaver, ut.. i had my carb fire out in one quick blast, and had more to spare in the bottle. thankfully halon saved the day, and after examining the solex, removing the aircleaners, cleaning up the burnt bits on the side of the road, and after consulting with the head tech guy for the 912 registry (and getting his conclusion that it was ok to keep going), i was able to procede onwards and limp to las vegas where a friend had a spare solex waiting.

me in california hamming for the camera with the charred remains, a trophy from my latest voyage. (note a bit of soot is still on the bottom of the rear deck lid, despite my best efforts at cleaning)

Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Mine's on a Brey Krause bracket on the driver's seat. I've been known to catch my shoe with it now and then, but I like having it close by. No new holes to drill, fits right into the seat bolts. And no comments about carpet condition, that's this Spring's project!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Tom, Any problems tipping the sports seat forward for access to the rear area??? A pic of my seats...actually double locking '73 models. Still weighing options here. Mr. Hoffman? Great job on saving the 912! May it never happen again! What happened? Backfire? This may be an arguement for the stock air cleaners...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nope, my steering wheel gets in the way before the fire extinguisher does. Plus, there's always the passenger side to tilt up if I need to get big stuff in the back.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3