Thread: More fun on the 110 liters issue

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar

More fun on the 110 liters issue

Having such a great well of knowledge it's hard to not post some unsorted beliefs on the 110 liters tanks.

Porsche was the a small manufacturer making cars in small series and really caring for good costumers. And, only to a very small extent building short series of special pupose cars, read 911R and 911 S/T. Is it not then to understand the following tanks as parts from the "Sport utility supplement" that also was used in special series cars. I have always thought of the 110 liters plastic tank as a 2.8 RSR tank, now understanding it the other way around. The 2.8 RSR used a "sport utility" tank that was in plastic.

Right?

My friend Lucas 110 liters tank. Found in a -69 911.

My 110 liters coming from Jan Lundegårdhs 2.5 liters 911 S.

Btw. I got the strap and the cap do have a cool sticker. This one has no drilled holes. Comments?

Are all made at the same time?

Regards,

"The 2.8 RSR used a (110L) tank that was in plastic."

This is correct for the factory cars I've seen.

"My friend Lucas 110 liters tank. Found in a -69 911."

The tank pictured is actually a 100L tank.

Are all made at the same time?

The 110L plastic tanks have a similar stamp although the date punched may differ.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

These are photos of a tank a tank I sold to fellow with a real IROC RSR. I sold it about 5 years ago. It had red "plastic" mesh-webbing in it for slosh control. The stuff was reminiscent of a scouring pad. The cap is an aircraft type lock mechanism and was very nice. I think the guy ended up using an original type setup. These did, however, work very well.
    If I had one of these plastic tanks in a car I would try to work out some kind of fuel bladder arrangement. I don't like the idea of a 100 litres of gas flowing freely due to a hit like Dave Buhain had a few years ago where he cleaned the bottom off of a tank. I've seen this done to old metal tanks like a 356"large tank" or a 904 tank. It's expensive but worth it imho. Steel tanks don't ruputure so easily.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here ye, here ye!

Here, my brothers is my now ex-RuF CTR tank. Alas, it has traveled to a better place. It has gone to the home of a bonafide Porsche zealot. A man who is full of good deeds and worthy of such a sacred item. May no man utter false words against him as he is truly an apostle of the Porsche.

Many non-believers paid hommage but only he graced the alter, admitted his belief and was annointed with the sacred item. This is the real and true article and not an ersatz pagan piece.

The true integrity of this sacred item was made sacrosanct by the devout adherents of the Porsche faith at the Holy Temple of Alois Ruf in Germany.

A passage was written by their scribe who praised me for saving it from heathens, The Eastern Horde or those who would use it to make whiskey.

Alas, a wine cask had come to mind, but no matter. It is better off now.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! Quite an alter, Tom. I'll stick with my stock 16 gal. tank though. You see, I have officially joined the ranks of the old dogs, and we must stop at every tree. Before my elderly car needs fuel, I'm already overdue for a pit stop.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The cap that protects the fuel level "thing" on Lucas 100 liters, were they used on the 110 plastic?

I have also seen a plastic version of the 100 liters. Is that also a SUS-tank?

And last, I have the long part of the "belt" for keeping my 110 liters in place but I lack the oposit end, anyone with a picture?

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by parced@telia.co
    I have also seen a plastic version of the 100 liters. Is that also a SUS-tank?
    Yes. There was a black plastic version of the center fill 100L tank with a metal filler neck and a steel hold down strap. This plastic tank was made by BASF of Lupolen 4261 AX, and was reportedly used in the 1969 Monte Carlo Rally cars, as well as the 1970 East African Safari 911s. See Ernie Wilberg’s website at www.pbase.com/911r for more info on this tank, along with lots of cool stuff on the 911R and ST.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

the black plastic tank was also fitted to 0339 Tour De France shell sponsored 71 entry Barth
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

I have heard that the 85 plastic tank in the ROW 911S in -72 was black. (I'm not sure about when the got stadard and what models.) Was that also a BASF tank or was it the same suplier as the grey in -73?

Regards,