Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheels for track use

Wheels for track use

Hi gang,

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but for the sake of updating I'd like to get your view on a track set up for wheels.

I run 944 turbo 8's in the front and standard 9's in the rear of my 911. All fuchs and all 16's. I am going to dedicate a new set of front and rears for the track and am trring to decide how to do it. It's been suggested that I stay with the street set up which will require quite a financial outlay. I do have another set of 944 8's so I'm half way there, unfortunatly, the 16" 9's will run me close to $2K a pair. Yowza!!! So here is where I need your input. How about atandard 911 8 x 16"s in the rear which will probably be much cheaper and much easier to find? How about running 7's and 8's x 15" instead of 16" ? What about after market 8"s in the rear (again track only) although this option adds about 2 pounds per wheel due to the casting vs the forging. I'm confused and would love some insight from some of you who have probably run through this before.

As always appreciate this board and it's many experienced, contributing members. An incredible wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance all.

CT
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Hi Chris. While 7 & 8x15 Fuchs can be a good option (one I still use on occasion), I would recommend finding a pair of 9x16 Fuchs used. They do come up for sale on occasion over on Pelican. The reason is tire availabilty - pretty limited in 15" now. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Thanks Randy,

Any reccomendations on rubber size for the 8 & 9 x 16's? I run 205/55 on the 8's and 245/45 on the 9's street. Thinking same front and 225/50 rears on the track.....any advice?

Look forward to seeing you in Sonoma in a few months.

CT

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Gburner
    Your 8s and 9s are great size rims for your car.
    I'd suggest Kumho Victoracers fronts in the 245/45/16 (24.3 dia) and Victo rears in the 265/46/16 (25.3 dia).
    The Kumho Ecsta V700 has the same sizes though I prefer the Victoracers.
    At the moment the Kumho V710 does not make a front tire for the 8 inch rim, or that would have been my first choice.
    Check the other DOT R rated track tires too, Hoosier, BFG, Toyo RA-1.
    You will love the grip the R rated tires will give you!
    Maybe soon we can discuss a (track only) elevated wing so you can keep the hammer down through T8.
    I know a couple of early 911 guys that frequently drive their cars from OC to San Diego for the AX or DE at Qualcomm stadium and then drive them home on the Vicotracers.
    Be sure to let us know next time you head out to the track.
    Link to Kumhos on the Tire Rack, hit SPEC for the various sizes in each make.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...t=All&x=56&y=9

Good advice from Mike! 225/245 is a good tire combo for your car with 8" 951 Fuchs up font and 9" Turbo Fuchs in back.

205s up front will not offer you the amount of braking friction you really need at the track - you can do it, but you will be amazed at how much that front footprint affects your braking.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

You might consider Lindsay Racing 17" Fuchs, which for the most part maintain the look of Fuchs, but offer the advantages of increased tire selection and a shorter sidewall tire. I have 8&9X17" Lindsay's and run 235 and 255 Toyo RA-1's at the track, with no front or rear rubbing problems (well, except inner fender rubbing in the front at full lock). Plus, you could probably sell your Fuchs 8's and 9's for more money than a set of Lindsey's cost.

Here's how they look on my car:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by a911s
    Good advice from Mike! 225/245 is a good tire combo for your car with 8" 951 Fuchs up font and 9" Turbo Fuchs in back.
    Chris for your car I think Randy is more correct.
    Those should bolt on no problem.
    My choice may require common track mods, rolled fenders and perhaps relocated oil lines near your T stat.
    With the stock gearing the shorter 245 will help your car too.

Talk to Johnny Riz and test fit his 265/45/16 rears on your car.
    He also has a set of Toyo 235/40/17 and 275/40/17 you could test fit too, those would require the oil lines to be relocated.

Here's mine a 3 years ago with Hoosier 245/40/17 fronts and 275/40/17 rears (Rims were 8 and 10s) . Fitting them required a baseball bat, rolled fenders some cracked paint, relocated oil lines and the correct offset wheels and spacers for minimum inside clearances as well.

Randy's choice will eliminate those problems on your cherry looking street car.

Here is a shot of Chucks new 710s, what size are those?
    PS From what I have heard the 710s are great out of the box, like a shaved Toyo RA-1 but better, I'd skip the Tire Rack heat cycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mike,

They're 205/225 15's on 7's and 8's

Would love to run 225 x 50 / 245 x 50 but they don't make the 45x50's any more.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks to all who posted. I just ponied up for a brand new pair of 16 x 9's to go with the 944 8's up front. Thanks for the advice on the rubber too. The 245/45 will fit perfectly in the rear, the 225 rubber up front is tight. When I ran 225 street rubber up front, I had some rubbing on the rolled fender under heavy braking and turn in under load. I suspect the track tires are more shaved than street tires so this may not be an issue with new track tires. I'll give it a go. Now I need to decide on a tire manufacturer. I know the Toyo RA/1's wear better on the street, to and from the track than do some of the other brands. Any further thoughts on this?

Thanks ya'll, I sure love this board.

Cheers

CT

R #208
    S #607
    A #76