Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More 911 R hinges? Might there be enough interest for another batch?

More 911 R hinges? Might there be enough interest for another batch?

Seems that I slighted a couple fo folks, not the least being a well known shop that wanted just a few for the shelf. Well, to take care of that, I have to get up enough orders to make a run. (I don't make these myself, I do the polishing, assembly and source the fasteners for the complete hinge.) I'll let this ride a few days and see if we can't get this done one more time. Last time I swore I wouldn't do this again because of the tremendous amount of behind the scenes work involved, but I do owe some to these folks that didn't get any.

Oh, BTW, remind me if you were one of those folks

Obviously, the one in the foreground is the finished product.

Hi Zeke,

How much are they approx. going to be a pair?

Thanks,

Richard

I guess you missed the first batch info. I sold them for 140, paid in advance. I don't think they are going to be that cheap next time, if there is a next time. Some told me they were the nicest they had seen yet. I don't know, I did my best on the research and design and then handed the project to a fab shop for the two individual pieces. I wasn't a bit surprised when the price for each pair of pieces came back. The prototype was darn close to good, but the holes thru the body part weren't quite lined up properly. So, they had to go back and build a better fixture to hold the pieces during the welding. Anyway, it was a PITA for them and they told me so, more than once. The only reason they would do this again is to recoup some of the set up time.

BTW, I'm told the welding was done by women (or a woman, maybe). I know what you're thinking. No, they were made right here in SoCal.

OK, you asked a question, I'll give you an answer. Prolly 175 this time around. But, is price really important? GT racing gets nearly 200/pr. That's nickle plated steel. These polished SS gems are the bomb and worth whatever it takes to get them made, IMHO.

If a half dozen want these right away and can deposit the full amount, I'll go ahead. Then I can get some on the shelf of the "well known shop" and I'm done. I don't make any money on this, to speak of, if you figure five dollars or so for every hour I put into it.

Zeke,
    I'll take a pair if you do this again, sent you a message on the pelican site as well.
    Phil

zeke
    put me down for two pairs

Hi Zeke,

I was unsure if I should post this, but you stated that you were not crazy about making these hinges. I own a metal stamping company (www.stamping.com) and was planning on making a run of these because I need a set for my 67S 2.0 racer. This is my day job! I will be making about 24 of them within the next 4-8 weeks. I will offer the extras for sale.

Erich

Erich,

What material are you using?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

They will be stainless. Perhaps 400 series.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichW
    Hi Zeke,

I was unsure if I should post this, but you stated that you were not crazy about making these hinges. I own a metal stamping company (www.stamping.com) and was planning on making a run of these because I need a set for my 67S 2.0 racer. This is my day job! I will be making about 24 of them within the next 4-8 weeks. I will offer the extras for sale.

Erich
    Save me a pair, nice to have around, take care
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224