Thread: DIY transmission rebuild?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

DIY transmission rebuild?

I have finally gotten the engine and tranny out of my 69S. As I start to search for the tools I will need to do a top-end rebuild on my engine, I have started to think about the tranny. I called Gary Fairbanks. First he said he usually didn't work on trannys removed by non-professionals. Then he relented and said OK to rebuild 1st and 2nd gear for $600 labor plus parts. Then I thought, hell, maybe I can do it myself. Can a weekend mechanic rebuild a tranny and not screw it up? Would it be a big plus when I finally sell the car to say that Gary Fairbanks rebuilt the tranny? To have him rebuild it I would have to deliver it to him in Norwalk, Ct (probably a 3 hour drive) and then return to pick it up. The third alternative would be to have my local mechanic rebuild it. What should I do?

don

1963 356B Super
    1969 911S
    1981 911 SC

"anything worth doing is worth doing well". I'd advise letting the professional trans guy do it.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Don-
    I'm in the middle of rebuilding my type 911, and it's really kind of fun. I have found that, with a little creativity, the job can be done without a lot of special tools. You certainly need the shift fork alignment tool and a big brass hammer. Here is a link to a do-it-yourselfer's site: http://mysite.verizon.net/res890fb/. Also, do a search for Grady Clay and my posts on the Pelican site. Grady is an amazing resource that can tell you anything you need to know and then some.

It is not an easy job, but it is manageable. I'd be happy to share my experiences. Feel free to PM.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Link didn't work for me....is that James' (redbeard on Pelican) site? He has a very complete set of instructions on rebuilding a 901. I did one a couple years ago and it was a snap. I didn't even bother with the fork alignment tools. If you can get the gear stacks out by only loosening one fork, you can eyeball it back using the other secured fork as a guide. I didn't know that at the time and loosened both of the forks (2-3,4-5) and I still managed to have a nice, smooth shifting 901 with an eyeball alignment. YMMV .

BTW, an old clutch disc is handy in the vise and the 23mm deep socket is at AutoZone for about $8.

What a great site! And his method does not require as many tools as the way Wayne rebuilds first gear in his book.

don

Do yourself a BIG favor. Take it to Gary. Unless you enjoy headaches.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Zeke-
    The site is for "Tony's Home Page," and is about hte resoration of a 912. One of the sections concerns the gearbox rebuild. It is good in that it is well illustrated, and documents the process from the perspective of someone without all of the special goodies. Interesting about the alignment jig. I, too, lossened both forks. Perhaps I'll give it a go assembling without the jig.

I second the tip about the old clutch disk, and would add that having an old, unusable, 1st gear to fit on the input shaft is very handy. You can clamp the gear in a vice, allowing the removal of the 32mm nut that secures the whole assembly on the input shaft.

Don-
    As a '69, your gearbox, I think, predates the advent of the "simplified differential." I'd make very sure, however. Do a search for "simplified differential" on the Pelican site for clarification. There is an easy fix, and parts are available given some time.

-Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Thanks. I thought I would keep it simple and just put in a couple of syncro rings and see if the does it. The tranny does not grind but only goes into 1st if stopped and shifts OK into to second if you shift slowly (if you do it too fast, it will grind).

don

After getting the tranny apart I realized I was unsure how to be certain what needed replacing just from eyeballing it. I needed help figuring out what was normal wear and usable and what was in need of replacement. I took it to my local mechanic, Bob Fox German Car in Ambler, PA and he replaced 4 syncro rings, the dog teeth on 1st, and a main bearing. It cost $1200. I think I came out pretty good given that to me it looked like I need a new slider and alone are about $650 at Pelican. He said what looked like wear to me was actually part of the original design.

Don