Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hood-Mounted Cibies for Dummies

Hood-Mounted Cibies for Dummies

I respectfully request that a BBS member submit the step-by-step instructions to install the subject on a long-hood (or a reasonable facsimile therein). I think I know how to drill the holes in my hood. Everything else would be guesswork on my part. Thanks in advance!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Here is a thread with some pictures to compare and comments.

I have some Cibies on the way from Germany, although they are in crap condition. I will be in the process of installing them as soon as restored and will take very good photos and notes. Brooke (RSWannabe) is in my neighborhood, so I am sure I can induce him to share his expertise on the reinstall for the price of a few beers at Mulleady's in Magnolia, right Brooke?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik:

This will be greatly appreciated!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Mind you, there will be rechroming and painting involved. I hope it is soon, but it may be 6 months away.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,

Happy to help when the time comes. I am NOT going to drill the holes though. It was nerve wracking enough doing it on my own car. I'll let you drill'em on yours. A couple of drinks a Mulleady's will be sufficient payment, but I recommend we do that after, and not before, installing the lights.

Peter,

How soon are you going to be doing an install. I could tak some pics and write up a description, but I couldn't get to it anytime soon. You just take your time lining them up and make sure you get them right where you want them on the hood, then mark the holes and drill. I recommend you run the wiring through the sides of the hood for a clean installation and use heft wiring and relays so you can run high wattage bulbs (I have mine sized so I can run up to 200 watt bulbs in each light). Are you by any chance going to be at the R Gruppe rally in Sonoma in May? If so I can run you through the install in person. Also, I am sure I won't be the only one there with hood mounted cibies, so you could look at multiple different installations.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

Quote Originally Posted by RSwannabe
    How soon are you going to be doing an install. I could tak some pics and write up a description, but I couldn't get to it anytime soon. You just take your time lining them up and make sure you get them right where you want them on the hood, then mark the holes and drill. I recommend you run the wiring through the sides of the hood for a clean installation and use heft wiring and relays so you can run high wattage bulbs (I have mine sized so I can run up to 200 watt bulbs in each light). Are you by any chance going to be at the R Gruppe rally in Sonoma in May? If so I can run you through the install in person. Also, I am sure I won't be the only one there with hood mounted cibies, so you could look at multiple different installations.
    No specific plans yet but that would be GREAT to look and learn as you've suggested. I will look forward to May! Assuming the process is not documented earlier I/we can do it then. For me, the drilling is the "easy" part. I've never been a great electrician!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    No specific plans yet but that would be GREAT to look and learn as you've suggested. I will look forward to May! Assuming the process is not documented earlier I/we can do it then. For me, the drilling is the "easy" part. I've never been a great electrician!
    I agree; I have no fear in drilling these holes. Too much time spent on a milling machine I guess. A spring loaded machinist's punch to set the drill bit tip is all you need and you are off to the races!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Well the electrical work is a breeze. I can walk you guys though that in no time flat..... Just not right now. Back to the grindstone for me.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

Right now is obviously too early for me, too. One day in the next several months will work.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389