Thread: Bowman AstroLine Radio

Bowman AstroLine Radio

Hi all,

I've got a '72 911T with a Bowman AstroLine Radio and I wanted to know if anyone knew if this was orginal equipment or not. I don't have my COA so I don't know the official story. It sure looks like it belongs there! I can't find much online about this brand, or this model either. Ideally, it would have an AUX jack in the back so I can plug my iPod in, provided of course that someone has built a cable to do such a thing for this radio.

Thanks in advance,

Jorge
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

I doubt a Bowman radio was standard...here's a website you can visit that covers what was supplied for each model year.
    http://www.nosubstitute.org/911/radio/default.asp
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Can we see pics anyway?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I'm almost certain no Boman radios were supplied by the factory. They were a fairly low-end radio similar to today's Audiovox. My guess is perhaps some were dealer-installed if the car didn't come with a factory unit and the buyer didn't want to spend the money for a Blaupunkt or Becker.

I have seen them on a few early 911s, mostly on cars from California which makes sense since I think Boman was a California company.

So that's why the reception is terrible!

Here's a pic. The antenna, a PO CB antenna, is installed on the right hand fender which doesn't seem correct to me so perhaps it was also dealer installed...gotta replace that at some point too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

Looks to be a nice period piece with an interesting story...I'd leave it as is!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Boman radio

I have the same model Boman radio in my 73S Targa that I just bought (in California) ......I've never heard of or seen a Boman radio before- anyone else have one??
    Gary Grasso
    Early 911S Registry #843
    73 911S Targa silver/black
    04 Carrera cabriolet black/black
    70 Mercedes 280SL blue/blue
    56 Pontiac Safari sandlewood/white

Bowman radios

Back then alot of the cars that came in had radio delete. When I started with Don Burns Porsche/Audi in 72 most of the cars we got were radio delete. At the time Porsche didn't offer stereo and the Southern California customers wanted stereo. I took my hole saw to many a 911 and 914 door panel. Bowman was the middle of the road radio offered by most So Cal dealers and I installed a lot of them.
    Hope this helps.

All the best!
    Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27
    Early 911 Registry member since 1999

73S with Bowman

My 73S has a Bowman Astrosonix 2000-MPX. It was dealer installed. My COA shows leaving the factory w/o radio. Back in '73 the dealer manager was very proud that they could install stereo without cutting the car. They used the in-dash speaker for one channel and surface mounted another speaker on the rear shelf for the other channel. I have since done away with the rear speaker so I'm getting only one channel now with the in-dash speaker. Any ideas how to provide both channels? Am I harming the radio to have no load on one channel? I have turned the balance control all the way to the remaining speaker.