Thread: Drat! I missed a change on a 70T

Unhappy Drat! I missed a change on a 70T

This was posted on Craigslist sacramento at 4:02 pm yesterday--

1970 PORSCHE 911T - $2200
    1970 PORSCHE 911T, FUEL INJECTION, NEEDS A LEFT QTR PANEL, SOME MINOR ENGINE WORK, RUNS GOOD. PROJECT CAR, POWER WINDOWS, POWER SUNROOF, CD PLAYER, EVERYTHING WORKS, JIM (number deleted--lives in Vacaville, California)

I asked emailing for pictures and the rust and paint etc. got a quick email
    reply "on the engine work, i'm think adjusting the valves and a tune up, it had'nt been ran in a couple of years, there is some rust between the battery hold downs"

Forgot my cell phone at work today otherwise would have called him
    this morning. Called him this eve and car was sold. Someone from San Francisco called and offered $1,500 over the phone today. Then someone from Fairfield, California came with $2,200 cash today and bought it. I knew if I really wanted to have a chance I probably should have called in sick to work and just got in the car and drove out there - TODAY (1.5 hour drive)

It was a project car, ie had some issues but the only rust was the battery area (person who bought it new what he was doing, was poking it from underneath), and it ran ok..only needing a rear crank seal and front crank seal. Owner had been garaging it and was sorry he couldnt get to the project but decided to sell the Porsche and keep his MG. Owner was also amazed it sold so quick "one person's junk is another man's treasure".

Lessons learned:
    1. there are deals out there.
    2. as soon as you see the ad, if a phone number is listed call it (it was getting close to midnight when I found the add).
    3. if you really want a deal, find a way to get there as quick as possible,
    call in sick if necessary. None of this "well what is your schedule like, and oh I can come by Saturday etc"
    4. don't wait for pics -- or for that time waste time talking to the owner on the phone (I've had them tell me there is zero rust then you can see rust on the surface from 15 feet away)..just go see the car.
    5. have your cash ready. take it with you and bargain there and then.
    (btw you have to really know the value of the car and if it's a good deal--and a friend may or may not be available on short notice to go with you).

OK well I will count it as a lesson learned and move on with my life.

Maybe you were lucky. 1970 911T's came with carbs, not injection.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Same-o, same-o

No worries, Marvin, I have had many similar experiences...now that the value of these cars has gone through the roof, they are getting harder and harder to find...you have to be prepared to act rapidly and that means making contact with the seller fast, getting out to see it fast, knowing the value of what you are looking at, and have the cash...what really cracks me up is all the well-meaning you say, "Oh, you must get a PPI!", if you take the time to do that, it will be gone...