Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Oregon

Beware of Oregon

In the police reports column of the February 7th Albany (OR) Democrat-Herald: "I-5 Speeding- At 7:15 p.m. Monday, Oregon State Police cited a Wilsonville man for exceeding the 65 mph limit on Interstate 5, south of Tangent. According to police, the 2003 Nissan Altima was traveling at 101 mph."

Now, you may ask youself...why 101 mph? Couldn't he have been doing 99 or
    100? Yet, the ticket was for 101??? Well, it's that our legislature, in an attempt to stop the young n's from piling up their "Rice" mobiles, recently passed a new law. Get tagged in Oregon for going OVER 100 mph OR 40 miles per hour over the posted limit, and the fine is an automatic
    $1,000 PLUS the loss of your license for at least 30 days.

Now you know why 101 mph....

Be careful in Oregon folks...the limit on 2 lane road is usually 55. Wind a stock geared 2.4 S out to 3rd gear redline on a 2 lane road? If a cop is watching, it could cost you dearly. There is also a "straight to jail" option here...officer's discretion.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

This is a good warning to all of us headed down to Sonoma.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Yeah...imagine this scenario. Headed East out of Bend on Hwy. 20...a straight arrow desert highway. You come up behind a slow moving motor home. Speed limit there 55, he's doing 45-50. To pass quickly & safely, you drop down to third and land on it...whoops, while passing you were briefly past 96 mph. BUSTED! $1,000 please. And oh, we'll take that driver's license for 30 days and give you some free room & board as well! Gotta love living in the People's Republic of Oregon...the land of the once free.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I'll take the west coast circa 1977 over today any time.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Still Lots of Freedom Left

How is not being able to do 96mhp to pass a 50mph motor home a major threat to your freedom?

Speed differential between cars is a magor cause of accidents. Why do you need to be 46mph faster to pass? Why is 15mph not good enough? If you need a 46mph differential to pass then you didn't have enought room to pass and put every ones safety in jeapordy.

40mph above the limit is a pretty liberal margin. One that isn't exceeded with even spirited driving.

Up here in B.C. 24mph above the posted limit is considered excessive speed and has a hefty fine. ~$400. I just might have to come down to Oregon to drive faster.....

One of the main reasons I prefer older sports cars is they are fun at any speed. Mine has been at 0mph for 18 months now :-)
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Uh Bob, my imaginary scenario was a TWO lane road??? I dunno about you, but I prefer to be in the lane with oncoming traffic for as little a time as possible. On a freeway? Two lanes going the same direction? Then I'd have no problem with going only 15 mph faster than the motorhome I was passing. Hell, even 10 mph then.

I'm with Paul on this, although I consider it more of a threat to my health than my freedom. Driving my dad's 996, I was behind a clunky Chevy Nova doing 52 in a 55 on a two lane country road. I can guarantee you that you'd be doing something severely illegal passing a car in this scenario. The fact that I was touching the short side of 100 MPH when I merged back into my lane had more to do with the fact I thought it safer to pass him quickly than to be dilly-dallying below some arbitrary maximum acceptable passing speed while in the opposing lane. Bob, you're an engineer; do the calcs to see how long you'd be stuck in the other lane doing 15 over vs. 45 over when passing in a 55 MPH zone. Just from a gut perspective, the difference is pretty scary, especially considering the limited passing zones on those types of roads.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

My point is that traveling 40mph above the speed limit is a liberal amount before these described stiff penalties are applicable. I don't think the Oregon government is gravely threatening its motorist's freedoms.

40 mph over in a 65mph zone is 62% above the limit.
    40 mph over in a 55mph zone is 73% above the limit.
    40 mph over in a 45mph zone is 89% above the limit.
    40 mph over in a 35mph zone is 114% above the limit.

So keep your passing manouvers below these percentages in the respective zones and you are FREE.

Also passing maneuver @ 15mph faster then the RV would take 5.9s assuming passing from 20 yards behind the RV being 10yards long and pulling back in 10 yards in front of the RV. At 45mph it would be 2.0s

Oregon is a beautiful place. I can hardly wait to get on some Oregon Roads.

Still lots of freedom left.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

The numbers speak for themselves. Amount of freedom left? I guess it depends upon your perspective. Count me among those who believes that the government that governs least governs best.

"40mph above the speed limit is a liberal amount "

Interesting choice of words.
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065