Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: East Meets Midwest at Watkins Glen?

East Meets Midwest at Watkins Glen?

There was some talk about a combination Early S / R Gruppe gathering buried in another thread. So who's interested in meeting - possibly - at the Zippo U.S. Vintage Grand Prix September 8th – 10th? I'd actually prefer something a bit later since this is close to Labor Day, but I'll make it work if we get enough interest. I suppose if we could get enough cars, we wouldn't need to this in conjunction with an event at the track. There're some excellent roads in the Finger Lakes region if you haven't been there. I'm open to suggestions.

So, Curt, what's with the fancy gizmo...is that the Family Crest? whateveritiz, it's cool.

BTW, my Dad used to live in Skaneateles, NY, right at the end of the finger lake by the same name. You are correct, that is some of the most beautiful country on the Planet, and the place abounds with twisty up 'n down roads.
    In Autumn, there's an apple cider stand at every corner, fat grazing Gurnseys in every field and a farmer's daughter waving from every porch; it's a veritable Norman Rockwell painting! yeah, I know, I'm full of it...

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Jim -- so we'll count you and Charlie as attendees?????

Yeah, that's my family 'coat of arms'. My relatives in Bavaria have a brewery! www.egerer.de !!

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    I'd love to make a run out there.
    My brother went to Hobart and Cornell and I spent quite a bit of time in the area. Real nice (less in winter).

I remember a place called the Rongovian Embassy near Ithica and Glenora winery makes some sweeeet wines..

Count me in;

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I'm in if I can convince my wife that I NEED two consecutive weekends spent with old cars and old men ( the previous weekend is the Lime Rock Vintage Festival).

Hey Curt, a few of my cousins are driving out from Bay City for the Lime Rock event, caravan out with them and make it two weekends of wallowing in Porsches. You don't have to work, right?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

How about this for some motivation for the Zippo, Porsche will be the featured marque. There will be alot of Porsches there this time. I plan on being there with the 67S. Hope to see you guys there too.

Best,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman
    How about this for some motivation for the Zippo, Porsche will be the featured marque. There will be alot of Porsches there this time. I plan on being there with the 67S. Hope to see you guys there too.

Best,

Don
    That does it for me !
    Timing is perfect, after the tourists leave and before the blue hairs take over the roads.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I could be there

what a great time of year to do the drive.

-Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Let's keep this alive.
    Since this idea originated with the "save the S reg thread" can we figure a way to make this work for the club? Chuck ?
    How do we go about setting up a booth ?
    Who's been there ,done that ?
    Do we really want to do this ?
    Can we ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

John,

Contact Mike Hammond, explain what's-up, and he'll tell you what's involved...

hammondms@earthlink.net

I will tell you we would need one responsible contact/merchandise/inventory/money guy...

We've done it before with Registry member's events in Texas and Connecticut...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter