Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: East Meets Midwest at Watkins Glen?

Ok, here's my dumb question for today: what would the booth be for? I understand it at a big West Coast event. Here, a really good turnout would be 15-20 Early S / R Gruppe guys. Is the purpose of the booth to drum up new members, promote the club, sell merchandise to ourselves, or what??????

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    That is actualy a very good question, good point Curt.
    Even a small gathereing can sell some stuff but is that enough to justify the efforts ?
    We would need some commited (or recently released) members to make it work (?)

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Count me in...2 hour trip for me. We need to book some motel space soon or we're gonna have to use tents at the track. The Zippo draws a pretty good crowd to that little town.

I'd like to see a tour of that museum/library. Of course we'd loose a day or 2 just going there from what I hear.

An idea here might be to produce a special tshirt for this event. I know I'd be in for a couple. Is this doable?

This would be a great S Reg/RGruppe event for the east. It is time to step up to the plate a bit over here and show the left coast they don't own all the fun.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I agree.
    What do we need to do ?
    Anyone who has done this before - instead of e-mailing Mike maybe we can get the info here or on a seperate thread. Don't know if that would be too complicated or compomising.
    Paul - where would be a good place to stay ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

If this starts to become real I may be able to arrange a tour of The Glenora wineries - Herman Wiemer makes some outstanding rieslings. Might make an interesting run from the Glen.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I have no idea on where to stay as I've only gone to the glen in my motorhome and stayed on site. Not sure how to go about setting up with rooms, but I'm pretty sure there's no large hotels there, just smaller deals. Maybe someone with much more Glen experience can look into this?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I'm trying to remember the place we stayed a few years back when we had a little R Gruppe gettogether .... Steve Turco set it up for us. It was just south of town. Don, do you remember? Anyway, it was a clean motel with very reasonable rates. I agree, we need to get something going quickly because that area will book up.

Curt, I think it was the Falls Motel, but what about the rustic place closer to town? Do you know the place I mean? Up on the hill, has some separate cabins as well as rooms, and there is a restaurant and bar. The only problem is that a lot of the drivers stay there and it books early for big weekends.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim - Yeah, that's it - The Falls Motel. The other one is the Seneca Lodge I think - we went up there for drinks that one night - awesome bar with all sorts of motorsport memorabilia. That would be the ultimate, but I'll bet it fills REALLY fast.

A friend of mine has been to the track a few times with the BMW club, I'll check also to see where he's stayed.

Funny how small this Porsche world is - Steve Turco was the guy who used to own my Vintage seats - good egg.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606