Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the bidding begin...

Let the bidding begin...

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I never advertise for dealerships, even defunct ones. One of the first things I do to a new car is to remove the dealership plate frames and toss 'em. So, since it's Vasek Polak? I'd bid what he paid for it...maybe a buck?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    I never advertise for dealerships, even defunct ones. One of the first things I do to a new car is to remove the dealership plate frames and toss 'em.
    Amen, Paul! Ever since I took deliery of my first new car back in '73, the first thing I always did upon getting it home was to remove the dealer's logo. The logo was as sticker, usually applied to the rear bumper or rear body panel. I'm happy none of my new cars ever had the dealer's name or logo in emblem-form. These were attached with screws or rivets to the sheet metal - and was common practice in the previous decades.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

A part of American Porsche history.

Mr. Polak did much more than sell Porsches.
    He campaigned them.
    He supported many who raced them.
    He meaningfully contributed to the notoriety that Porsche cars enjoy in this country up until this very day.
    IMHO, those frames, if original, could be cool on an early car.
    Howard Lazarus
    Early S Registry #357
    RGruppe #181
    1971 911S Conda Green, Factory Airport Gears
    1972 Corsican Rose Love Fest

I take all the dealer crap off of my new cars, but - come on - these old plate holders are icons! If I could find a nice vintage Stoddard plate holder I'd buy it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    If I could find a nice vintage Stoddard plate holder I'd buy it for sure.
    You mean if you could find a nice vintage Stoddard plate holder for a reasonable price you'd buy it?
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

The guy selling this one had a matching set. I bought the other one. It’s in pretty good shape and as far as I can tell it’s authentic. The appeal is the collector value, I have a sickness that way.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Yeah, I like them, but I don't like them to the tune of $500+ like some have sold for!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    I never advertise for dealerships, even defunct ones. One of the first things I do to a new car is to remove the dealership plate frames and toss 'em. So, since it's Vasek Polak? I'd bid what he paid for it...maybe a buck?
    RIGHT ON THE MONEY....

As PT Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute"...

I just don't see the value. The first Porsche in my family came from Competition Motors, long since gone. May they rest in peace...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Curt:
    I have an original Brumos (came with a custom ex-Brumos S to RS conversion in the trunk) and Stoddard that I "found". They are both brand new.
    First Born? Eye Teeth? Left Leg? Your call.

Tom