Thread: Painting door jamb/hinge area.

Painting door jamb/hinge area.

What is the general consensus out there regarding prepping the door jambs and hinge area for painting. I don't want overspray on the door pins, but it seems like (from the other posts here) removing the doors VIA the door pins is a real pain. What is the best way to 1) prep the hinge area for painting 2) keep the paint off the door pins and 3) avoid the situation where you paint with the hinges removed and reattach the doors and have broken paint at the bolts that attach the hinges? Confusing question, but it seems like not many people remove the doors by getting the correct tool and removing the pins. It would make sense to me to have that area prepped with the doors off and gaps adjusted prior to painting so you can paint the area/doors and then refit the doors by putting the pins back in (like I assume they did at the factory). Any thoughts out there?

By the way, where can someone buy a door pin remover? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Robert

Any method other than pulling the pins will be a compromise. That compromise will lead to dry overspray and tape lines, and a non oem appearance. utilize a drift and hammar, tap the pins out. Stubborn pins will require bolted hinge half removal, pin removal on the bench, pin cleanup, rebolt and align, and final pin removal. On a complete, all original painted surfaces repaint, We paint the inner fender cavity and half the door jamb including the water shelf at the top of the jamb. bolt the fender back on and Then tape off the upper shelf, down the forward portion of the a pillar/hinge post and inner fender area. This leaves the hinges, (think rivet plate facing you) and under side of the water shelf, along with the rocker, roof, quarter, cowl and fender on a full repaint. Doors are hung on a rack allowing the inner and outer area to be painted at the same time. this method leaves no tape lines. Shortcuts are always visible at the jambs, and I am a jamb fanatic, tape and panty lines drive me crazy, in diferent ways! no one likes a dry jamb.....judges?thong....i kill me

Timely post as I am in the middle of a repaint. I assume the hinges themselves are body color and the pins are natural. What about the hinge bolts? Are they natural or painted? Also, is there a source for the rivets for the paint code plate?

Thanks, John

John Ashford
    Towson, MD
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

whence pin removal has been reached, the bolted hinge plate and bolts remain on jamb and thereby receive body color. The pin was never painted. reinsertion of pins after paint requires no further door alignment, if you verify gaps and aligned your doors before removal. When one forgets that, then your fresh painted bolt heads will now get marred by the misstep in procedure. The extra effort will be rewrded,better clean up,sanding and paint application -pull the pins before paint. Clean the hinge bushing surfaces after paint with a razor and light file the bore, test pin fit prior to installing fresh paint door on car. rivets at stoddard or local hdwe, use SS domed brads and creative glue technique for reattachment of color id plate

Thanks!

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

Thanks for the explanation, it is very helpful. The door pins are original, non-painted, as are the door jambs.
    Thanks again.
    Robert

A little tip to help retain door alignment

After the doors were pulled for prep and paint, the body hinge mounting points were never removed from the car. One at a time, a bolt was removed, stripped and returned to the hinge. When one bolt was out, the area around the hinge mount was stripped as well. When all was stipped and returned, the hinge mount and the area was painted with the bolts slightly outboard. They were then carefully The result was no alteration to the door alignment and a look which rivals the original.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    I like to pulled the doors off with hinges to make sure I get paint on both sides of the hinges and hinge posts. Allignment of doors are not as difficult as one may think. Best wishes.
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Thanks for all of the replies.
    Robert

Robert,

This was a bare metal repaint & I presume the doors were removed & the area in question then painted.
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200