Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 911S lightweight/911R prototype

1967 911S lightweight/911R prototype

Starting a new thread for all to view. I have copied and pasted Paul's original text:

Originally campaigned by Porsche Car N.W. a subsidiary of Qvalle Motors

1967 Pacific Northwest C Production Champion

1967 3rd place American Road Race of Champions (National Runoffs) in Daytona
    Porsche 911 claimed 1st - 5th

1967 Winner of the U-2 class at Kent Washington Trans-Am
    Porsche 911 is the Manufacturer champion in U-2

1967 car is driven by Gary Wright (now deceased) and owned by Porsche Car N.W.

1968 car is bought by Gary Wright and campaigned in SCCA National C production

1968 Entered in Kent Washington Trans Am. Engine expired on 3rd lap

1969 Now owned by Todd Webb of Portland Oregon

1969 Entered in Daytona 24 Hour. DNF after 33 laps (unknown reason)

1969 5th place Daytona American Road Race of Champions

1970 - 1973 used as a street car/ auto cross car by Todd Webb

Parked in late 1972 or early 1973 sold to a portland body shop owner with 6303 miles showing

1988 bought by Scott Tyler of Clearwater Florida. Missing engine & rollbar. Disassembled, restoration started

2003 Bought in pices by Ross Bleustein of Miami Florida

2006 Restoration completed

This car still retains all of it's original panels (with the exception of the driver's door skin) and other components. This is one of few early 911 race cars with history, and believed to be one of very few cars built to these lightweight specifications."
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

more pics...
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

final pics...
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Great car. Glad to see it finished after hearing about it. It is not a prototype but rather one of the very first of the Sports Purposes cars built in 67.There are alot of great photos of this car in action.

Don

missed an interior shot...
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Gotta love the wheels. Anybody have any ideas on the tire size?????

where's Cornpanzer when you need him?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hi Bob:

Thanks for posting those great pictures (and thanks to Paul for posting the chronology),......

Being kind of an antique myself, I remember all too well watching Gary Wright race that car many times here at PIR, and listening to that "6-speaker" stereo blaring down the track,...

I was racing a C-Sedan Cooper S at the time and always hoped that I'd buy one of those things one day and race it myself. Dreams DO come true,...
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Bob, Thanks a bunch! To the best of my memory, this is as Gary raced the car. Note the simple sponsorship decals...actually placed for "contingency money". Meaning, you run with the valvoline oil decal in place, they pay you..depending on your finishing position. Gary once told me of Champion Spark Plugs taking $ away from him once they figured out he was actually running Bosch. (In a car other than this, I believe) It was refrshing for the fan back in the day...not tons of zoomy graphics and sponsor logos. Easier to pick your favorite out of the pack by color alone.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

fantastic work. the engine bay shot is amazing.

does anyone know how the filler is mounted relative to the hood? the hood doesn't appear to have an opening that would allow it (the hood) to be opened.

(ps. you know you spend too much time on US websites when you refer to a hood and not a bonnet...)
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus