Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Historic race meeting ever in Australia

Biggest Historic race meeting ever in Australia

The Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit hosted the biggest ever Historic race meeting held in Australia this past weekend. There were a total of 477 entries, with every class over-subscribed, making fields of between 50-55 cars in most races.
    The races held were for cars dating back to the 1920's including touring cars, sports cars, open wheelers and all vintage and veteran categories.
    Info on the event and is available at http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island.htm
    circuit info at http://www.phillipislandcircuit.com.au
    More pics and posts are at http://www.typ901.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Mike is correct

It was a fantastic meeting - amazing cars, great weather, fantastic track (some of you may know it from the Australian round of the MotoGP) and extremely friendly owners and drivers. Where else can you wander into a pit garage while the mechanics are working on an old F1 car, or 962, or K3, or Lola or GT40 etc and not only watch but takl to mechanics and drivers AND THEY WILL ANSWER YOU - or put your kids in the seat of a single seater to give you a better photo opportunity.

there are more pics at http://www.typ901.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

but here are a couple to start ............
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    I'd say that you guys would be lucky enough to have the same experiences at Monterey...friendly and warm welcomes from drivers and teams. This event was huge...477 entrants is huge in anyone's language. 25 international cars and drivers; every pit open to all. When I first made it over to the pits on Saturday I was almost overwhelmed - I didn't know where to look first! It was eye candy galore - the kids all caught the historic racing bug too . Check these out! Billy and Charlotte were treated to a "seat" in a very sweet Norton Manx powered Cooper...such is the friendliness of the whole historic racing scene .

Great fun, great weekend, can't wait for the next one .

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Something special....

Here's something the USA historic racer fans should love....something very special! I'm sure most of you would guess anyway - a Gurney Eagle no less .

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Here is a VERY cool little car from the car park a Morris Minor with an Austin Healy Sprite 1275cc engine
    Also a not so little car an aluminium bodied E Type also in the car park.

Lisa and Mike,

You lucky ducks. What a fantastic showing of cars and fans. The Gurney eagle is beyond the beyond. Thanks for sharing these with us here. Awesome stuff.

Are either of you coming over for the R Gruppe meeting in May? Hope to see and meet you then.

All the best and Cheers!!!!!!!

CT
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

In a word. Wow! Very nice.

That's more than one, but you get the idea.

Sherwood

We'll try and get some more pics up for you tonight our time...there were so many great cars there! Seriously, my head was spinning on my first walk thru the pits...on more than a few occasions I felt I had to pinch myself just to ensure I wasn't dreaming...

I dropped my digital the night before, so Mike and I were down to one . He took 116 pics and I know Hugh took more than that - they were both downloading to laptops all weekend ...

It was a truly fantastic weekend. I have no idea how the Victorian Historic Racing Register will top it next year but word is they will certainly try .

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

How is this for a matching pair Team Rondel's F2s of Graham Hill and Tim Schenken!
    Rob Walker's Surtees F1, Rob was one of the many Australians who managed to get to F1.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa_spyder
    Billy and Charlotte were treated to a "seat" in a very sweet Norton Manx powered Cooper...
    Wow, great event--thanks for the pics!

Question for you-- Did the Norton Manx use the Norton motorcycle tranny and a chain drive, or something else? This was a '50s F3 car, correct? I didn't realize what a long history of using MC engines in small race cars there has been.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!