Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dalmation Blue Car Needed Help!

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

Dalmation Blue Car Needed Help!

I'am hoping that you or, someone you know has a Dalmation Blue/Oxford Blue/SeeBlau car I can see in person. I have sprayed a sample of this color using the OEM 329 color code that according to some websites, is the Dalmation Blue/Oxford Blue/ SeeBlau paint code. However, I'am getting a real deep violet color that is not matching any of the pictures of Dalmation Blue/Oxford Blue or SeeBlau colors posted on this board.

If you live near the Martinez, CA area (Bay Area) please let me know if I can see your car. This would be of great help. Thanks
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Hi There
    I cannot show you a car in person but I can tell you that I used to own an RS in dalmation blue and it was very blue in bright sunlight but towards dusk it took on a very deep violet or even purple hue. I think you sound to have exactly the right colour.
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Freddie,
    Sorry I'm out of town and can't give you the paint code on my car. I found this web site it may help.

http://www.vintageaircooledmotors.com/73_911CIS.html
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Mike, thanks for the post. My sample spray out is VERY strong on the violet. Actually, the paint formula 329 is composed on Violet, White, blue and black. The cars I'am seeing are strong on the Indo Blue which is a deep ocean blue thus, SeeBlau or OceanBlue. I know my color setting on my monitor are correct.

Mike, thanks for the website. Sure is a beauty of a color.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Cool Dalmatian (sp!)

Just about my favorite color.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Thanks for all the help with this. I have finally gotten the color...three days later. It took me speaking with PPG and Dupont products back in the east coast to get the formula correct. The problem with these older Porsche colors is that through the years, the tones have been lost in the "translation" if you will. PPG's Dalmatian Blue is different than Dupont's Dalmatian Blue. PPG's Dalmatian Blue has way too much increments of Violets. Dupont's true Dalmatian Blue only comes in a single-stage called Nason which is the bottom of the line paint. So, to get the high-end paint, in a base-coat formula I had to first spray a sample of Dupont's low end Nason single stage and use Dupont's Chroma-vision machine (computer aided lense that reads colors and then translates it to a formula) to get the Dalmatian Blue in base coat so that I can spray my own clear (this two stage base-coat system is great for matching and blending in the event needed). So, if you know if anyone wanting to paint their car Dalmatian Blue/Oxford Blue/SeeBlau, I have the formula with the correct tones. I sprayed out the backside of my engine lid, hood, and doors today. The color is facinating! Thanks
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Freddie,
    I'm glad you got it worked out. Post some pics after its done. Please pm me the recipe...thanks
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Good research job Freedie

I had a hell of a time finding the right mix for 62109 by Lesonal for my '68 coupe. After a lot of web searching and numerous phone calls I found a shop that had all the old records and original recipes for Lesonal. They've been in business since the 1920's. I was able to get the right stuff from the original manufacturer mixed to the original recipe. The color is dead nuts on! Ironically the shop is not in a little village in Germany but 2 1/2 hours drive from us in Nashua, NH.

I'd love to have the right mix info for Dalmatian if you care to share it...and of course photos are mandatory!

(oops, I meant Freddie, not Freedie. D'oh!)

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Here are a few pictures of todays work. Also I'am including Dupont formula for Dalmatian Blue/Oxford Blue/SeeBlau. This is a pint formula but can easily be done in other amounts.
    430-14 Violet 56.1
    430-44 Blue 102.2
    430-04 White 120.8
    430-38 Indo Blue 130.8
    150K BC/Balancer 347.0
    175K Binder 436.0
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez