Thread: Michigan Guys Only ...

Michigan Guys Only ...

I stumbled over this REALLY awesome website today. It's all about old race tracks, drag strips, drive-in theaters, etc. in Michigan. Wow, some real memories in here for me. TriCity Dragway is where I hung out as a kid. Closed in 1978, the remains are still there and only a few miles from my house. I also thought the old Superbird photos from the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea were cool!!

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/default.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super bitchen Curt.........

Thanks,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Not dragstrips, but....

http://www.defunctparks.com/
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Yeah, I spent a few Sundays at Tri-City Dragway as a kid too. It can't possibly have deteriorated that much since 1966 can it?? In my minds eye it's still brand new.

That picture reminds me of the ruins of the old French Grand Prix pit boxes and stands.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim - everything's still there: the pavement, the tower, the tech building, the concession stands. I think somebody finally took down the 'Pure' finish line towers. The airport bought the property years ago. With security these days, I'm amazed these guys got in and took those photos without being shot! There've been efforts over the years by various groups to purchase the property and reopen the strip. It won't ever happen. Besides the airport issues, I'm pretty sure one of the problems is the 'runoff' area - not nearly enough by todays standards.

There was a major NHRA 'points meet' there every year. All the racers stayed at the then new Holiday Inn near my house - every big name was there. They literally took it over and turned it into one large paddock. There were guys rebuilding motors inside their rooms, guys firing up their top fuelers in the parking lot, etc.!

very faint memories of the Mt. Clemens racetrack...one of my friends went there about every weekend, and for some reason my parents never wanted me to go.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

I don't think my parents were ever thrilled with me going to the drag strip either. I guess at the time, the drag crowd was considered somewhat of an outlaw hell's angels type thing!

I think that was one of those gray areas..... parents were better off not knowing "exactly" where you were going.

Curt, do you remember the Shaker Engineering cars from Bay City? Might be before your time (mid to late 60's?), one of my neighbors was a Chevy engineer and ran a factory backed skunk works team. It was supposed to be a hush hush, nudge nudge, wink wink, private entry team, with no sponsorship on the cars at all. The cars were immaculately prepared (think Penske detailing), loaded with factory trick pieces, and they cleaned everyones' clock. My idea of a fun afternoon was to ride over on my bike, sit a respectful distance away and watch them build these " sports purpose" Chevys. They were mostly ChevyIIs, Camaros, and Novas. I wasn't even really into drag racing, but these cars just had such a great purposeful look to them that I was like a moth to the flame.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I know for sure, nobody ever passed a joint or a GI Q around out at that track I have a vague recollection of those Shaker cars. I do know now that GM used TriCity to race a lot of these hush-hush factory cars.