Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Should we feel guilty for the pollution?

In my first post to this thread I mentioned being in the arctic circle and seeing a complete lack of ice cover in areas which had been covered for thousands of years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ea...high-1.2251709
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

Choices

Regardless of one's position/point-of-view/whatever --- there always seems to be a lot of finger-pointing + name-calling that goes with environmental matters . . .

Meanwhile --- life goes on . . . pretty-much the same

The not-so-funny thing is --- while we can legislate behavior . . . or try to, anyway . . .

We can't legislate Biology . . .

. . . or Climatology . . .

. . . or Oceanography . . .

http://news.yahoo.com/the-ocean-is-b...133327474.html

Things'll change --- we will change . . . when we think it's in our interest to do so. Not before

Like the poisonous little toys that we play with today --- companies only stopped making them . . . when The G'ubment made 'em stop. Like putting lead in gas. Or DDT on our food. 'Member DDT? Or thalidomide? Smoking on airplanes? Drinking when you're pregnant? What happened to those choices?

D@mn G'ubment

So --- while we're waiting for every land animal that doesn't live on a farm to turn-up in a zoo --- or disappear onto a DVD/website/server . . . and every plant in all those Nasty Rainforests that we only see on NatGeo to end-up in a gene repository somewhere in a probably-snowless Norway . . .

I say ----

. . . enjoy your choices

Because the ones we have today? . . . our Grankids won't be allowed to make tomorrow

. . . and it's SO NOT just the weather
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-25-2013 at 12:59 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

"According to the president of Nauru, the Maldives are ranked the third most endangered nation due to flooding from climate change.[48][49] In March and April 2012 the previous President of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed stated: "If carbon emissions were to stop today, the planet would not see a difference for 60 to 70 years," Nasheed said. "If carbon emissions continue at the rate they are climbing today, my country will be underwater in seven years."
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Everyone park your 911. Nauru is in peril.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

<laughs> I guess I'm evil. I never give the environment a second thought when driving, and not just my 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    Everyone park your 911. Nauru is in peril.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

A few facts about Nauru, a shining light of global ethics and environmentalism... (From Wiki)

Nauru is a phosphate rock island with rich deposits near the surface, which allow easy strip mining operations. It has some phosphate resources which, as of 2011, are not economically viable for extraction.[3] Nauru boasted the highest per-capita income enjoyed by any sovereign state in the world during the late 1960s and early 1970s. When the phosphate reserves were exhausted, and the environment had been seriously harmed by mining, the trust that had been established to manage the island's wealth diminished in value. To earn income, Nauru briefly became a tax haven and illegal money laundering centre. From 2001 to 2008, it accepted aid from the Australian Government in exchange for housing the Nauru detention centre.

The president of Nauru is Baron Waqa, who heads a 19-member unicameral parliament. The country is a member of the United Nations, the Commonwealth of Nations, the Asian Development Bank and the Pacific Islands Forum. Nauru also participates in the Commonwealth and Olympic Games. Recently Nauru became a member country of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
    Last edited by Bummler; 11-18-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Banned
    That's nice.

Honestly, I sometimes do feel a bit guilty. I try to do a lot by feet, bus or train or anything, partly because of the fuel cost and partly because of the environment.

But when I drive, well, I don't feel guilty. I only try to avoid "unuseful" trips with the car, but when I need it I need it.

I feel quite concerned by all these "green" issues, it's important to me. But I won't buy a G-Wiz because of that, there are limits!

So it's not really yes, not really no, more in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    "According to the president of Nauru, the Maldives are ranked the third most endangered nation due to flooding from climate change.[48][49] In March and April 2012 the previous President of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed stated: "If carbon emissions were to stop today, the planet would not see a difference for 60 to 70 years," Nasheed said. "If carbon emissions continue at the rate they are climbing today, my country will be underwater in seven years."
    What about the radio active "fall out" from Japan's Fukushima? It is said this disaster is worse than Chernobyl. Bears, seals, fisheries, etc have been compromised. Bears and seals with open sores and hair falling out.....

Shouldn't we be more concerned with that? And fixing Japan?
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummler View Post
    A few facts about Nauru, a shining light of global ethics and environmentalism... (From Wiki)

Nauru is a phosphate rock island with rich deposits near the surface, which allow easy strip mining operations. It has some phosphate resources which, as of 2011, are not economically viable for extraction.[3] Nauru boasted the highest per-capita income enjoyed by any sovereign state in the world during the late 1960s and early 1970s. When the phosphate reserves were exhausted, and the environment had been seriously harmed by mining, the trust that had been established to manage the island's wealth diminished in value. To earn income, Nauru briefly became a tax haven and illegal money laundering centre. From 2001 to 2008, it accepted aid from the Australian Government in exchange for housing the Nauru detention centre.

The president of Nauru is Baron Waqa, who heads a 19-member unicameral parliament. The country is a member of the United Nations, the Commonwealth of Nations, the Asian Development Bank and the Pacific Islands Forum. Nauru also participates in the Commonwealth and Olympic Games. Recently Nauru became a member country of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
    I dont care. at all...nor am I convinced the vintage automobile culture is responsible for this. your high horse is too high and this conversation is getting to be a caricature.

-Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1