Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Side Mirror

Passenger Side Mirror

! am new to the early 911's...

Every car I have owned since 1976 has had a passenger side mirror. I have gotten VERRRRRY used to that.

So I go buy a 1972 bone stock original paint 55K documented mile 911, and lo and behold no right side mirror. So my quesstions are:

1) Leave as is?
    2) Purchase and install repro right side mirror? I suppose you must drill for this? Will this affect the value?
    3) Anyone want to go in with me and make a repro magnetic mirror

I absolutley love everything about the car but the missing mirrror!

David

Quote Originally Posted by daepp

So I go buy a 1972 bone stock original paint 55K documented mile 911, and lo and behold no right side mirror. So my quesstions are:

1) Leave as is?
    2) Purchase and install repro right side mirror? I suppose you must drill for this? Will this affect the value?
    Welcome to early 911 ownership.

Yes leave it as is. Don't drill holes in the right side door, it will affect the value. I had to undo that very thing from the right side door of my RS and repaint an original paint door.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

David,

The repops are pretty crapy ... the crimp around the mirror is not smooth and the finish isn't up to the factory...

The right hand countries used the round Durants on the right ... and it was period correct to run two if needed.

There IS the drilling of the holes however....

What I did for my '73 is put a small 2" convex dot on the left hand edge of my outside mirror... AND ... a 2" convex dot on the right hand edge of my
    inside mirror...

Took me about 2 years to get use to the view and the look...

Wouldn't take'm off now...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    And if you were to mount a mirror on the passenger door to "mirror" your drivers door, you'd find you can't actually see the mirror when you get behind the wheel. Welcome to our world and be REALLY careful when you make that move into the moving right lane when you're stopped in traffic in the left lane.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    And if you were to mount a mirror on the passenger door to "mirror" your drivers door, you'd find you can't actually see the mirror when you get behind the wheel. Welcome to our world and be REALLY careful when you make that move into the moving right lane when you're stopped in traffic in the left lane.
    True enough. My (Shawns') '67 has billing documentation where the original owner had one installed. You cannot see anything out of it, although if you are into symmetry, it's hard to beat.

Tom

I've been running naked on the right side for decades....so far so good. Yessir, be REALLY careful about pulling into that right lane...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

No Blind Spot...

I too am new to the early 911s and I had a hard time getting used to no passenger side mirror. The upside is that when you look over your right shoulder before changing lanes you'll notice almost no blind spot whatsover, unlike other cars (VWs, BMWs) that I've driven before.

Just my 2 cents...

Jorge
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

This is a blind spot. All others are pretenders to the throne!

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thaks for the input. My additional 2 cents:

1) I will admit that with windwings on the car (which I absolutely love) it is even hard to see the left mirror.

2) With it being a Targa, there is no C pillar - it's glass, and therefore no blind spot.

I just reflexively miss the mirror! Old habits die hard I guess!

My daily driver has a right side mirror but I almost never use it. I usually look over my right shoulder in that car too. My girlfriend however really misses the passenger mirror in the 911. She is pretty nervous in any car particularly on the highway and really appreciates having her own mirror. Every time she's in the 911 she asks me when I'm finally going to install one for her. I'm stalling. I don't really want to do it.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500