Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Recaros - Worth Restoring?

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I think this is the third time he has listed them at that price. First two times, no takers. This guy also charges $8 to ship you a sticker so prepare to grab your ankles when these babies ship. "I have no control over that", " Someone else handles the shipping", That kind of BS.

Those seats are worth 2.5k at best I'd say. They do not look like they have been handled or stored well. The seat frames are probably REALLY rusty. That means full resto.

To much PATINA for me even.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Ratty Recaros

Wow. So what do restored ones go for?

4.5k ball park depending on who is doing the resto, materials used etc.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Red face

So a ragged out T with sport seats at the right price looks pretty good right now. I passed on two cars with them in my 911 search 5 years ago because of the condition of the cars. One of them was $8,500 and had deep 6's and a steel spoiler as well. I passed on it as it was pretty well worn. Live and learn.

5 years ago, those same sport seats in good condition were worth $2K. The prices over the past 2 years are through the roof. A fine restored set of sport seats can go for $6K. An average set is worth $4,500 today, if you can find them. The Long beach swap meet offered several pairs over the past weekend, one was SOTERIK's beautifully restored set for big $'s, and a very average to below average set of vynil seats was selling for $4,900. Go figure.

CT
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

I sold a minty set of seats restored by Tony for 3500. That was only about 6 months ago. Oh well.
    Tom

When doing a restoration of these seats...it really depends upon how "far" you go. I realize it's a bit of a stretch, but there are different levels of painting a car as an analogy.... There's the Maaco way, and there's the Jim Newton (Manhattan Trophy winner) way.

I had Tony do 2 pairs of seats for me recently. I bought the "full meal deal". Frames powdercoated (and you don't even see them), weld nuts replaced (that's subcontrated). Labor alone on Tony's end is over 30 hours on a pair of seats with all the items I had addressed with him. All the bottom brackets and sliders are sent out. The sliders are all replated, as are the headrest supports (subcontracted). The bottom tip brackets are painted or powdercoated depending upon what you want. In reassembly, bad foam is replaced, all of it is "wrapped". The bottom trampoline and the back trampoline is replaced. Etc. Add German leather, or German vinyl, and also the cost of NOS houndstooth fabric. Not to mention the prices of core seats (priced those lately??), and shipping to Tony. Also add the costs of correct original nuts, bolts, screws, and washers. It all adds up!

The price on my seats is commensurate with the costs involved..... the pair that is available are $6,000.00

regards,
    Eric

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Recaro seats

Eric,

Do you have a source for the original Phillips screws (M8)as used on the Recaro sportseats, either in chrome or black?

thanks,

cees

RSexS, you might try Mid America Motorworks(TWEEKS), part #408-245 or part #408-243, looks like these MIGHT be it. They can be reached at www.mamotorworks.com or by phone (800)500-1500. JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161