Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearing Clearance in Stearing Column?

Bearing Clearance in Stearing Column?

I disassembled my steering column today to repack the bearings and I realized that there was a very significant clearance between the shaft and the bearing closest to the steering wheel. Am I missing a part? I will be using a MOMO hub which I don't have yet so I am unsure if there is a part on the back of the MOMO hub or the original wheel that would take up this clearance.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Bob,

Below is a shot of an assembled early stering column (thanks Shawn French aka thrown_hammer@pelicanparts). Note the large gap between the column and the external assembly.

To fill that space, there is a spring and small bushing you need to put on the shaft of the momo adapter (or spline on the original steering wheel). A shot of the parts and how they are mounted is below as well (thanks Oliver aka phoenix@pelicanparts).
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    To fill that space, there is a spring and small bushing you need to put on the shaft of the momo adapter (or spline on the original steering wheel). A shot of the parts and how they are mounted is below as well (thanks Oliver aka phoenix@pelicanparts).
    Now wait just a darn tootin minute!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=9795

Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    Now wait just a darn tootin minute!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=9795

Michael,

Good catch. I did not notice that the spring and bushing on the spline are reversed. I inserted the correct picture.

The bushing should be at the end of the spline.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    Good catch. I did not notice that the spring and bushing on the spline are reversed. I inserted the correct picture.
    I'm gettin the feelin you're just messin with me, huh?

That wrong picture is how my wheel came out and what I was talking about. Maybe I'll put the wheel back on tonight with the bushing reversed to see if it clears up my wobble.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    I'm gettin the feelin you're just messin with me, huh?

That wrong picture is how my wheel came out and what I was talking about. Maybe I'll put the wheel back on tonight with the bushing reversed to see if it clears up my wobble.
    Michael,

I would like to say I was messing with you but, truth be known, a "Senoir moment" is a more apt description.

However, on install, not to worry, there are only four ways to install the parts. You feeling lucky? (hint: the piciture is correct)
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Uuuuhhhhh....

..So Harry and Michael...the third photo in post #2 above is correct then?...Please don't complicate it too much for me...a simple "yes" or a "no" will do!...and we'll go from there...Thank's / Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Thanks Guys,

Harry, you really had me scratching my head there with the first pic.

To be honest I still dont really understand the design of this bearing/spring/bushing arrangement. When I get all my parts in one place I will provide a status update.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmagyar
    Thanks Guys,

Harry, you really had me scratching my head there with the first pic.

To be honest I still dont really understand the design of this bearing/spring/bushing arrangement. When I get all my parts in one place I will provide a status update.
    The first picture I posted has the metal casting you show installed in the steering column. The part you show is directly behind the horn contact ring. The next shot are the spring and bushing loose. The last shot is the spring and bushing on the steering wheel 9or steering wheel adapter before you istall it on the steering column.

I note in your picture, you show the 27 mm nut that is used to fasten the steering whell to the shaft. What is the object behind the nut?

I hope this helps.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by larwik
    ..So Harry and Michael...the third photo in post #2 above is correct then?...Please don't complicate it too much for me...a simple "yes" or a "no" will do!...and we'll go from there...Thank's / Lars...
    Yes, the third photo is now correct.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300