Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Fuel Filter

Original Fuel Filter

Can someone post a photo of an original fuel filter mounted in the engine bay for a '71. I'm wondering where it is located, was it secured to the firewall in some manner and what the basic size/shape was???? Thanks. -- Curt

Curt, a '71E or S would used the screw-on MFI filter used through the 1973 model year. A T would have used a different filter???? because it ran carbs?
    Do you have a PET? Maybe a diagram in there would give you a clue.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I guess that's my question. My parts book shows the 'MFI' filter, but on the page for the T with Zeniths there is no filter shown. Did they rely only upon the small in-line filters in the carbs?????

Also, do you MFI guys still use the original filter?

The filter console monted to an angle bracket which mounted to the sidewall with rubber mount's.. The holes for which should be in the wall..
    I still use original NOS filters.. Years ago when I heard they they were about to go NLA,,, I cleared out the shelves and purchased about 30 units ..

Carbs only relied on the mesh filters..

Robert..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Thanks Rob! I'm thinking about mountng an aftermarket spinoff filter. I've got a few US-made units in mind but does anyone know of a 'proper' German-brand spinoff filter?

What do you mean Curt, aftermarket, or ,, as original... if so,,, I still have a few originals..
    Robert..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

I was thinking aftermarket. I just need something with a simple inlet and outlet - those originals look fairly complex, besides the issue of filter availability.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I guess that's my question. My parts book shows the 'MFI' filter, but on the page for the T with Zeniths there is no filter shown. Did they rely only upon the small in-line filters in the carbs?????

Also, do you MFI guys still use the original filter?
    Kurt,

So, you got Carbs or MFI in you gal?

If you got carbs, a few of the inexpensvie clear inline units would prolly be just dandy.

If you got MFI, the filter complexity has to do with managing flows to and around the MFI Pump and you will have a bit of plumbing to do to ensure the pump operates correctly and has a well filtered fuel supply at the correct pressure.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Curt, I just put in a Mahle inline filter ordered from Pelican. Half "clear", half metal. Looks nice and simple, but I haven't run with it yet.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Harry - It's carbed. I've been running an in-lne but I think a spin-off would be easier to change and a more permanent solution. I was hoping Mahle or Bosch offered something like this, but I haven't been able to find anything.