Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Excellence, same (under)evaluations.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar

New Excellence, same (under)evaluations.

Early 911 Market update is in.
    Who will sell me their excellent 67S for $26,488 ? Anyone ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

There has been for years an ongoing battle with Bruce's valuations.... but its only as good as the information he gets. He doesn't like to use Ebay, and I tend to agree, as you would have to pick and choose your information. A perfect example is the Ivory 67S that just completed in the last couple of days, that car has just been relisted, even thought it was declared "sold".

Note that auctions can be a good source, and Jim Schrager uses them for his 356 valuations in the 356 Registry article he writes...but the 911's that come up for auction have been very scarce in the last year.

From our standpoint we know from our own postings here what the prices have ascended to, and we can easily query each other on value.

Look at it this way, if you come across a nice car for sale that's priced too high, and the owner has "some" idea on pricing, but isn't a Registry member, you can always wave Bruce's article in front of him and try to get him to lower his price... not that I would ever do anything like that

Excellence is but one source. Schrager does a great job in SCM. e-Bay produces some interesting results that's for sure.

Putting a value on these cars is an ever moving target that once it gets into print is likely obsolete. Who would have ever thought a Hemi 'Cuda coupe would go for over $700K at the BJ auction.

The good news is the early 911 market is going nowhere but up. I'll likely never sell mine, I've had it for 24 years and did not buy it as an investment, but as a labor of love.

But it is kinda nice to know all the $$$ I've put into it won't go to waste.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    I didn't mean to be smug (or put that e in front of Valuations ) - I have nothing but respect for Mr. Bruce Anderson.
    It would be interesting though to know what his sources are. I have never seen these cars sell anywhere at those prices (wouldn't I love to).
    I used that trick Eric , to get my car - was that wrong ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Maybe Bruce has been secretly buying up all the 911S's that he can find for the past few years, convincing buyer's of their car's values based on his guide. Wait a year or two when he corrects the guide and unloads his stash...

Yes using Bruce's prices are great way to get a good deal on an early 911, I don't think I see anything that does a fair job of accessing the market for these cars, the PCA valuations are a little better than Bruce's but still too low if you ask me, it hard to use historical valuations on anything when prices are rising quickly, the data is too perishable.
    Phil

The Manheim Gold or the "High Line" auctions are pretty good sources as well. I think that the cars Bruce is pricing actually reflect what an average car is really worth. In reality I doubt very few of our cars fall into the league of "average".

In the 911 world I think that a lot of folks have raised prices to astronomical levels for fishing and making a market where one may not actually exist. For instance I know of several cars that were reported sold, however, never actually did. What does that do? It skews the data and makes the greed in everyone come out as Mr. Average now has a 911 that must be worth $40,000 since he saw one sell for that. We created the monster.

As with anything collectible, a "wild card" bid makes for interesting discussions. Recently, somebody actually "supposedly" paid $75,000 for a '64 GS Buick Riviera. I could not believe it but I also still believe that a fool is still born (no pun intended) every minute.

As for E-Bay I wouldn't trust that fraud riddled site for anything concrete unless I know who I'm dealing with. I actually gave up on E-Bay several months ago and the time that has been freed up has allowed me to conquer a few projects and an old hobby that was getting stale. Think 10 ring and long distances.

My honest opinion is cars that are original and have remained so will be the best investments. Not that I don't like a nice RS replica; it's just that they are not the same car they started out as and I'd pay more for a real "S" than even an "S" that has been doctored to look like it's close cousin.

The Corvettes that were bastardized in the 60's and 70's to be hot-rods or John Greenwood replicas are worth far less than their siblings who have "survived". A lot of value is placed on originality in the Corvette world. It can mean the difference between a $50,000 car and a potential $100,000 car. If you cannot document it, you should not claim it and false claims or frivolous boasts don't cut it.

As for originality, I may have a pair of Peter Z seats for sale soon. I'm going to use my old friend Tony Garcia to rebuild my very nice low backs. I'll be re-installing my wooden wheel and may even "deep six" the deep sixes for the original chrome steel wheels although I have an awesome set of 4.5's with new Michelin XAS rubber in the correct size.
    I don't drive the car and if it's going to sit like a museum piece it might as well have all its innards attached that it came with.

Best,

Tom

We should start our own market evaluations and offer it to Bruce as a resource.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mike walker
    We should start our own market evaluations and offer it to Bruce as a resource.
    That would go over like a NFL lineman entered in the pole vault...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    That would go over like a NFL lineman entered in the pole vault...
    Why is that ? Does he not value the collective wisdom of the Early 911S registy?
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon