Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car washing question...

car washing question...

Being ultra-paranoid after getting the new ride, I was wondering if there were any concerns to be aware of when washing the car...normally not something I would be inclined to ask about, but given the rust issues that crop up, I don't want to be "damaging" the car in any way by not being too careful- any methods to the madness people out there would like to share?

where are you located? is there snow on your streets?

if yes, then best not to wash

if not, then driving it after you wash lets the wind blow out any crevices

I open the door pockets and wedge the nozzle of a small hair dryer in and turn it on low. I run it until the lower portion of the door feels warm to the touch. It dries out the interior of the doors and makes me feel better and that I'm inhibiting the formation of rust. Make sure the drain holes are open in each door as well, they have a way of getting clogged up.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Dont use dish soap...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

More than Original
    Some put a towel over the grill to prevent water from entering the engine compartment. I don't care and just open it up and wipe everything down after drying the car.

Also no need to blast the car with water it just removes wax and gets water deep in to crevices. Just use a nice steady flow with no nozzle, and let the dirt run off.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    Dont use dish soap...
    Why? It strips off the old wax nicely. As long as you wax again, it works great.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Dish soaps contain Phospates which will corrode your car.. Think of that chemical pooling inside a door seam or any other crevice.
    Buy a good automotive soap..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    Dish soaps contain Phospates which will corrode your car.. Think of that chemical pooling inside a door seam or any other crevice.
    Buy a good automotive soap..
    Sounds like good preventative advice. That said, my one owner Glasurit painted VW Fastback was washed w/ dish soap since 1971 and only needed a repaint due to rock chips; the paint was always lustrous until a windows out repaint a few years ago. The jambs, etc are still good as new.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Washing an early 911

IMHO you should NEVER spray large amounts of water on an early 911, unless you don't care about rust. Anyone who has ever taken one completely apart has seen numerous little areas where water collects and cannot drain. (in some cases the drain holes were improperly designed and are above the area where the water collects!) Many of the areas cannot be dried no matter what you do...although the hair dryer is better than nothing.

You may be long gone before the rust eats thru to where it can be seen from the outside, but believe me unless the car has never been exposed to water, it is there.

It is amusing that many people who would not dream of driving their early 911 in the rain, blast it with the water hose regularly.

Just run it through the local car wash. Be sure to push the antenna down though, or they might break it off...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)