Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any of you guys remember this ad with Mcqueen back in 2005

Any of you guys remember this ad with Mcqueen back in 2005

I must have already been in Europe because I never saw it til yesterday. What a great ad. Too bad Porsche didn't think of it first. Mcqueen's deadpan expression is classic when the guy throws him the keys.

http://members.tripod.com/~stvmcqueen/cornfield.wmv

Yes. I remember getting chills watching it the first time. Oh wait, I just did again. The only thing missing is the scream of the car being double clutched. The Mustang was indeed appropriate, although I would have preferred a GT3.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

That's a powerful ad. Haven't seen it for quite a while and just gave me a buzz as well.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Always good when it raises the hairs on the back of your neck...

I liked the "Close cornfield. Professional driver." disclaimer.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

I never saw that ad. Guess I live in a cave or something!

Thanks for posting. Very cool indeed.
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

I love this ad.

Side note...I mentioned to my 15-year-old son the other day that I saw Mustang fastback just like the one Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt. My son's comment?..."Who's Steve McQueen?". I felt old all of the sudden. I told him we'll have to rent Bullitt and watch it.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I just bought "Le Mans" with an order for Porsche books from Amazon. Only $9.99. Its been a while since I've seen it.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by creator8
    I just bought "Le Mans" with an order for Porsche books from Amazon. Only $9.99. Its been a while since I've seen it.
    You are in for a treat. I try not to watch it too often so it stays special which is maybe 2-3 times per year. I put it on whenever I start to question why I spend so much time and eenergy on looking at parts on the web, or whenever I write a fat check to my mechanic, or why I have to pay for monthly private parking rather than just buy a newer Porsche or BMW car and leave it on the street. I also watch it whenever I start to think aboutt upgrading to a bigger engine because it keeps me grounded. In those race scenes, the 917's are literally blowing by all of those early race prepped 911's like they are standing still. 160hp, 180hp, 190hp and 210hp is a joke compared to the 917 rockets that are running the show in that film. It makes me realize that my little 1050 kilo car and 2.0S motor is more than adequate for street usage and weekend grins - but a far cry from the money and hp and commitment that would need to be spent to even think about running with the big boys...

Gburner
    Anybody see a real life resemblance in that cornfield track layout?

Amazing how often you find our Willow Springs turn up ...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter