Thread: KONI Strut Housing and Insert Don't Fit????

KONI Strut Housing and Insert Don't Fit????

Recently bought some used Koni Strut housing and went to install my inserts this afternoon and they don't fit.

The insert stops about 2.5" short of the threads and event if it did insert all the way the threads are a different pitch.

Can anyone comment on what is going on? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Koni shock and struts

Bob: What you have is the old Koni don't fit in there own strut problem! Koni made the shock to fit in the Boge strut but not in the Koni strut. You can do one of two things, buy new shocks from Paragon Products for the Koni strut or turn down the end of your shock to fit in the strut housings. I have done about 12 sets of these so it will work. Thanks Eric

Koni for Koni

Just checked with our supplier, there are Koni shocks available that fit into Koni struts. Unfortunatly it looks like you've got the ones that Eric mentiones....
    Mike, member #841

Thanks Guys,

Eric, I think turn down the insert would be pretty risky and it still would not allow the threads to match. Perhaps the ones you have used had the correct thread at least.

Looks like I have the wrong insert. Time to have a hissy fit.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Koni inserts.

Bob: It is no problem turning your inserts down, that is what Koni does. You will need to change the top nut though. If you phone Jason at Paragon Products he has those top nuts with the fine thread. Bob tell him Eric Davis told you to phone him. Jason sells more Koni shocks for Porsche cars than anyone else in the world so he knows his stuff. Bob if this is for a track car you may want the sport shocks. Remember if there's a problem it can be worked out, all it takes is money. Thanks Eric

Hi Eric,

Is there anyway you can describe to me the dimensions of the modifications to these inserts so that I can use them?

Seems like I would have to remove X-amount of the diameter of the bottom 2.5"
    The nut would have to have the threaded area removed down to a diameter small enough for the fine pitch retainer nut to fit it.

I have excellent machine shop access to do this.

Regards,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Koni shock

Bob: The nut on top of the shock will come off if you tap it with a hammer. Do you have a picture of the whole shock? You may have to cut the bottom extended plug as well. I need to see what you have so I can give you the specs. Thanks Eric

Hi Eric,

Here are close ups of the nut and end of the insert.

I think the nut cannot be removed as it appears to be staked into the housing.
    I tried tapping it and it didn't move.

I think I may just order new ones and sell this dampers and a set of struts they do fit. The struts have 3.5" brake bolt spacing which I alway understood to be a KONI housing. Weird Stuff.

Regards,

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.