Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abarth Exhaust

Abarth Exhaust

I've seen these 4-out type muffler's a few time's over the years but never knew much about them. The one on Evan's 65 he found is an Abarth and I wonder if other manufacturers ever made something similar. Ultimately I'm really interested in finding one for my 67S, but I'd also like to know if anybody know's much about them. How they sound, who made them, etc..

If anybody can dig one up for me, I'll make it worth your while!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They were a fairly popular aftermarket item, back in the day. Nice raspy sound, but they had the reputation of burning out and/or rusting quickly. The just kind of faded away, taken over by the twin pipe factory sports muffler look.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Bill,

They were put out by Abarth, Manta, and maybe one other back in the day...

They sounded kind'a cool, and were indifferent to performance for the carbureted cars, but robbed power from the injected ones.

Had one of these on my '73S when I bought it... ended putting on a stock muffler and picked up some free and quiet horse power...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I think the one that I had was made by either Manta or Ansa. Finished in a crinkled black paint but rusted badly underneath...
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

I believe Pelican still sells the Manta version:

911 Manta Exhaust; Pelican Parts number PEL-911-MAN-01

You'll notice the tip spacing is different than the grey car above.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Yea, I've got an Ansa version that has the two muffler's with wide spread twin outlets. It's ok, but I'm talking about the one above with a single muffler chamber (similar to the factory) and the four outlets. Did Ansa also make one of those?

Here's a pic of my current setup.

Has anyone ever run a full Bursch header and muffler setup? It's what I have and, although I'm infatuated with the sound, Chuck's got me wondering if the lack of back pressure is robbing me blind of horsepower.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Here's a better pic of one.

The Abarth's were much better than the Ansa's, and others. The others used fiberglass packing which is why they didn't last long. I had an Abarth on my various VW's for 16 yrs. I currently have one on my '73S coupe w/MFI. Better mid range pick up than the stock muffler. Also has a great sound.
    Harold #334/RGruppe#176
    '73S coupe

Well there'ya go...

Harold's had good performance with his Abarth set-up... it does look much more like a stock muffler with different exits then the Manta and Anza's do...

Paul,
    Thought I read somewhere that the Bursch 3-muffler early car set-up was OK for MFI cars....

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter