Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is a 911 TR

What exactly is a 911 TR

IN 1968 The FIA decided to reclassify the 911 T into the same category as the 911S. Considering the T road car weight 52kg less than the S and for competion it could be equipped with a more powerful engine,the S Rally was dropped in favor of the new TR. Built from 1968 for customers who wanted to go racing and rallying,the TR was the first homologated special based on the 911.Unlike the highly modified R,the TR would be eligible for GT class competion,specifically Group 3,and quickly found favor from professionals and amateurs alike . See also the history of Jacques Beinvenue'sTR Canadian championship car on another thread my photo site has several photos of my TR

Hi Frank,

It's interesting that your TR has a S body serial number (118 0 0988).

For the 68 MC rally car from Pauli Toivonen the factory used body 118 2 0455(sister car Vic Elford). With this car by the way Pauli became EC in 1968.

I look forward for more information from your car and see how it all rhymes.

Regards,

Richard

p.s. I like Porsche trivia.

Thumbs up 911 S/r

Another fantastic period looking piece. Wow! I hope for the opportunity sometime to hear the bark of those pipes (and the Webers).

A hell of a car Frank. Congrats.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

MORE INFO ON TR's

[url]www.qv500.com/carguides.php

A TR was a lightweight that was basically a T fitted with the Rally Kit which gave the S engine as part of the package (or 906 engine as a few were built that way too according to Starkey's books). The kit in the T gave the car lightweight features unlike the L and S versions (which did have undercoating delete but ran standard door panels and trim) such as a very simplified dash, perlon interior including the headlined, no window regulators, just straps no bumper trim or emblems, ect. The TR is not a Factory term per say and they were badged as a T or just 911.

Frank your car is an S with special equiptment and engine but it is not a TR. Your Kardex would need option 9553 listed. The Rally Kits formed the basis of most of these factory race cars but not always like my silver 68 or I think Frank's car where the options such as roll bar, gear box, engine ect could be ordered without the main Rally Kits. The Kit for an S was option number 9551 and was dropped for 68 but at least one was built (I own it!).

Don

Don thank you for your input.

Richard

what's a TR

Don,I DON'T CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT ,BUT ONE THINK IS FOR CERTAIN;THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO RULE FOR WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T,YOU COULD ORDER ANYTHING FROM Porsche;another absolute is believing in Starkey;I bought a rs lightweight with matching numbers,original engine and gearbox,as it turned out it was a no # replacement block and the gearbox had its # filed off;I paid an extra $800 for john to have someone in England DO A ppi ,DOOR PANELS WERE REPLACED,THE LIST GOES ON,JOHN CLAIMED IT TO BE THE NICEST AND MOST ORIGINAL IN THE WORLD,WHAT A JOKe!

There is information that Frank's new car and Don's "Jennings" car may have raced against each other at the Glen 500 in 1969 ..... maybe you guys should do a reunion race at the Zippo this Fall!

more on TR's

from an expert(not me)

"Almost any combination of parts could be ordered,from a 906 engine to a steel body,whstever the customer required they got.All cars were received without sounddeadening(saving25kg for staters),the suspension being suitably lowered and anti-surge fuel tanks with dual pumps installed.Two engines were available,the less expensive option having been a 160hp unit from the standard911 S This could be enchanced withthe optional Rally Kit that featured larger carburettor venturis,open inlet trumpets and a twin outlet exhaust all of which took output to 180hp.At the other end of the scale,you could opt for the 230hp 906 engine with its titanium conrods CARRERA 6 PISTONS.lightenedflywheel and strong cluch.When the 906 engine was specified a limited slip was normally fitted as standard. Additionally,it was common place for customers to order R parts for their S engines,valves,ported heads,pistons,marelli ignition and pressure side oil filters all cropping up"