Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '73 RS on eBay

'73 RS on eBay

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Interesting. Bill had another '73 RS (#1189)on eBay just last week. Here is the VIN tag from that car which has the correct 'KG' stamping.

Looks like the one on the color change car (#1530) was replaced at some point. It has 'AG' stamped on the tag. Probably means nothing but thought it was interesting. Too bad it still isn't Tangerine with the original engine.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Maybe it's the "French Connection" car... I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
    Provenance, provenance, provenance. All else is BS.

Tom

No sale at $122,600
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Just one man's opinion...

The market has spoken.

Tom

Jeez guys... why so sour. Dont you guys enjoy this site or is it just a place to complain.

I guess your right... the ebay sale of this one was a a complete disaster... Only a little over 10,000 people logged in to watch this one and just over 550 logged on to track it. I collected a little over 100 new emails of potential Porsche clients and now I am going to have to spend at least twenty minutes entering their names in may data base.

Only a couple of hundred people stopped by the store to see the car and the really bad news is one of them really put the hurt on one of my sales people and bought a twin turbo. Now the poor guy will have to spend an hour doing up all the sales paperwork.

You guys a spot on. Ebay sucks... there is just no two ways about it. Nothing but agrivation and lots of extra work. On top of that all this extra work and Ebay has the nerve to charge me $190 for the listing. It just seems so unfair!

Oh, almost forgot... one of the guys who saw the auction made an offer on our RSR... looks like more agrivation and work ahead for me.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

No sour grapes on my part at all. Most of the we seem to have a lot of fun here. I was just making an observation that the aluminum VIN plate may have been changed at some point. Or maybe late in the spring of 1973, when this car was built, Porsche went from 'KG' to 'AG' and it is the original tag.

I agree eBay can be a great way to advertise a car for sale, especially for a dealer like yourself. Since it didn't meet reserve can you share with us what the reserve price was for the auction? Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

"AG" v "KG"

Brian

for what it is worth my june 73 manufactured "E" has "AG" on the aluminium plate (I presume not changed since new) and "KG" on the sticker on the engine fan. I thought the official changover of name happened in Jan 73 but in all liklihood they used up old stock?
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

No worries mate, reserve was $139K.

Cheers,

Bill

So, Bill...other than that, how do you feel about it? A question on values? WHY are RS's worth so much? Meaning, some paying $200,000 for an RS of questionable condition, when 2.4 S cars are worth so much less, yet are nearly as rare? (1500 or so RS's, 1750 '72 S coupes, for example) Only 300 cc's and 20 horsepower seperating the two. Yes, I've driven an RS...a lightweight, then owned by it's 2nd owner. I have a '72S. Sure there is a performance difference, but it's so minor while the perceived value difference
    is huge. Any theories why? Why is my original paint, very nice condition '72S with low (51,000) miles considered to be worth perhaps 1/4 the value of an RS purchased from a Texas border town, an RS that needed a ton of work to become even presentable? Seems to me there is a whole lot of hype out there...and now that the housing bubble has burst, I'm hoping the same thing will happen with these cars.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)