Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos of dash speakers, please

Photos of dash speakers, please

My '73 came without any radio equipment. I would have left it that way, but a prior owner drilled in an antenna on the passenger fender, so I will may as well have a radio. I have a correct Blaupunkt Frankfurt US and all the installation hardware for it (except I still have basketweave vinyl on the face plate), even including the wire for the speaker. I don't know what the speaker looked like, however. I would appreciate it if someone would post photos of an original dash speaker set up, to give me guidance.

Also, I would like to buy a used or NOS speaker, the prestole nuts that go into the square hole in the dash to mount the speaker and a correct piece of black 72-73 style vinyl for my face plate. I could take this from a glove box door, for example.

The good news is that no one ever cut holes for speakers in my car. Eric, are you enjoying that Moch-1?

Many thanks.
    Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Good luck on finding an original. I bought one from www.ksspeed.com a couple of years ago for $100 or so. He may have some left. This was NOS, so don't expect great tone from it. More like a tinny transistor sound, but it works. Here's a pic. You won't find them new...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I bought one from www.ksspeed.com a couple of years ago for $100 or so.
    Wow, talk about inflation! Price has gone up!

http://www.ksspeed.com/index.php?mai...342_75&mPath=2

Ouch! $175. I'd now suggest going to wrecked-em yards, see if you can find a shot speaker...then go to the "antique radio classifieds" website, look for speaker repair services. Seems to me that if a 1930's radio can have it's speaker reconed, it should be possible with this one. Might even end up with better tone than the NOS speaker I bought. Here's a link:
    http://www.antiqueradio.com/
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I was confused by this website, nothing was in English. Are these new in box Porsche speakers, or reproductions?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I had mine reconed at SOLUTIONS in LA,CALIF.(Hollywood) and the price was $70.00 about 2 years ago and the speaker is suppose to be now better than when it was new. It still works great but I don't turn the radio on hardly because I love the sound of that 911S MFI engine in 2.4 liters . Their address is 4334 Sunset Blvd, LA,CA,90029 and phone # 323-666-4161 fax #660-1245 JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    I was confused by this website, nothing was in English. Are these new in box Porsche speakers, or reproductions?
    These are original speakers...at least the one I bought for $99 plus $8 shipping was. It was in the original box, still factory sealed with the old and brittle tape. Meaning, new, not used until I opened the Blaupunkt box. But they were made in 1973 or so...In other words, NOT reproductions and the cone material is quite old. Reconing may be the better way to go, since it's seldom that the speaker's magnet is the problem. Another option I thought of doing was to use my speaker as a mounting outline...make an adaptor out of aluminum, or circuit board material perhaps, see if I could then use a more modern speaker that uses today's better cone material. After all, we're not talking upper end sound equipment tone quality here. Thanks for the reconing info Jim...I may give that a try with my original speaker, see if it works better than the NOS one I bought. But like you, I don't have the radio on much. Probably the last time I turned it on was when I tested the NOS speaker.

Does anyone of you know what is the impedance of the original speaker? I think that I will try Paul's suggestion, with a modern speaker.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

nothing was in English

Tom,

Try the babel fish translating site.
    It works well on elferhelfer.
    I didnt want to make holes in my basketweave door panels so I had two 4 in. speakers put in under the dash speaker panel.
    Works well but I dont seem to listen much when the motor is going.
    Wonder why ....

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

i need a radio and speaker for my 70 S.
    where is the best place to go?
    thanks