Thread: Halda Speedpilot

Halda Speedpilot

Looking at the period rally accessories I could add in the car, I've purchased already a tripmaster and a a pair of vintage Heuer, a flexible map light, but now I'm wondering about the Speedpilot....Does any know if it practicle for regularity rallyes, if it works well, and how does it exactly work? For a 1971 car, what would be the correct Mark ... version?

Thanks for your help!!!

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Hello Milou,

My $.02

A Speedpilot is hardly of any use w/ the exception of rallies like Liege-Rome-Liege.

The device was originally designed for TSD rallies. However it has 2 shortcomings. It measures by 100 meters and the clock runs by minutes. The Halda Trip and Twinmaster were introduced 3 years after the Speedpilot and are a lot more helpful.

In TSD rallies of nowadays your timing is measured by the second. Later this year I will be running the Ennstal classic and that rally is even measured in 1/00 of a second.

A good calibrated Trip/Twinmaster and a time table beats any Speedpilot.

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Worth more than $ 0.2....it saved me USD 400....thanks again!

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Milou,

They are neat to look at and some - now historical - cars came that way. That's a reason to install one.

Richard

p.s. if you ever consider buying one, makes sure that the clock runs. For the average guy it's very complicated to take a Speedpilot apart.

I have both a speedmaster and a twinmaster for classic rallying. The twinmaster is the most usefull tool for the navigator. I find the speedmaster helpful for regularity sections where I can easily keep track myself of the average speed, and do not constantly have to bug the navigator. It is not extremely accurate ( a small bicycle computer is better) but I find it a neat mechanical tool. I also think that they will hold their value, not so many of them around anymore. Getting them working is a bit of a chore, as you'll need several t-gears and drive cables in addition to the ones needed for the twinmaster.

Don't look at the mess, I am just putting in a new carpet set and putting back the original radio.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Peter Stey
    1973 T Coupe with 2.7MFI
    1970 S Targa (sold but not forgotten)

The Speedpilot is not accurate enough for TSD rallying, but it is a fun piece of equipment for touring. It has a mechanical clock with an extra hand that you line up with the minute hand when you start. You calculate the average speed for the leg and set that on the other dial. If you stay exactly on time the extra hand stays exactly under the minute hand. One minute ahead, the extra hand is one minute ahead. It's great fun for touring. The agreed on time to get to the restaurant for dinner is 6:00. It's 2:00 and you're 150 miles away. 150/4 = 37.5. Set the speed, line up the minute hand and take off. Is there time for that quick side trip? Just look down. 27 minutes ahead? Off we go. 10 minutes behind? Maybe not.

Alan B

Thanks Allen. Thez are several of them in Essen at the classic car fair. I will go and see.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com