Thread: 901 Gears - flipping over?

901 Gears - flipping over?

Are all 901 gears "flippable"?

For example, can I take a 27:25 "V" gear and flip it over to use it as a 25:27 "R"???

I appreciate your feedback.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Hello Juan,

It can be done and there are enough racers that do it.

Dimensionally, the gears are the same; only the gear tooth angle will be a mirror image of the original. This will reverse the thrust produced by the engaged gears and change the load on the intermediate plate bearings.

There are possibly 2 modes of failure: The bearings on the intermediate plate could die early. The other possibility is the bearings loosen in the intermediate plate. There is a problem with this in the later transmissions with magnesium cases. Should not be such a problem with an aluminum case?

My transmission will have a flipped "O". However I know of a prestigous race shop that won't do it.

Just my $.02. I would like to read comments of others.

Richard

Thanks for the info. I posted the same question at Pelican and there is some additional feedback there.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=274134

Cheers, Juan
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

901 gear flip

Hello: You can do it for a race car no problem I've doing that for 15 years. PCA has a rule that you must use the original gears in the gearbox for that year. They don't say in the original position. On a 914 you flip 5th into 3rd and 3rd to 5th. you end up with A,F,KA,V,Z. It works great. I've also done the same for a 911 with a 2.7 engine using the KA(zd) gear for 3rd on a track car I used to race in SCCA. My favorite gears are C,GA,N,S,X. They are all standard except first so can be bought easily. Thanks Eric

Juan: Clean out your PM

Juan: Clean out your PM box so I can send you some e-mails. Thanks Eric