Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A risk pays off - the treasure inside

A risk pays off - the treasure inside

I bought a motor last September for a very reasonable price...if the rumors about it were true. The risk was worth the potential reward and I finally found out tonight. See the pic below.

I think you'll see I was luckier than I ever hoped. The rumors were that it was a hot Jeff Gamroth built 2.2. The ports were stock E, but that was all I knew. Now I can see it has piston squirters in the case, DEEP valve pocket JEs and a counterweighted crank of currently unknown stroke. If this sucker is shuffle pinned, I am going to lose it. Stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Napoleon Dynamite "Lucky"
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Very cool Kenik! Lucky SOB. Open up the ports and stick ina hot cam and you are good to go. What type case was that one again?

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

I still have to pull the cams to see what they are. With my new luck, maybe they are 906 cams and the previous owner built a baby rally engine. My guess is they are 'E' cams from the ports, etc.

The case is a 1R/2R case. What kills me is this case has all of the mods I wish I my 'S' case had. To top it off, the case has very nice steel heads studs, all installed using case savers. This motor was built by someone who really knows their sh#t and has great attention to detail.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

So, you're going out to buy a lottery ticket now? Wow! Nice score!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    The case is a 1R/2R case. What kills me is this case has all of the mods I wish I my 'S' case had. To top it off, the case has very nice steel heads studs, all installed using case savers. This motor was built by someone who really knows their sh#t and has great attention to detail.
    ...and yet they didn't know enough to start with a better case?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

It is light though!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Are you sure it has Time-Serts (case savers)?
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

It sure looks like from up close inspection. There loooks to be a different amtreial betwen the studs and the case. Do the pics not look like it to you?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

By the way, any guesses on the CR of those pistons? I'll have to wait to get the proper equipment to cc them for definitive info.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389