Thread: Engine numbers?

Engine numbers?

Is it normal for a chasis number and an engine number not to line up in order? My chasis # is 300688 and my engine # is 900828 There is a difference of 130 in between them did they number prototype engines with the same serial numbers?

Is it normal for a chasis number and an engine number not to line up in order?
    Hello ???,

It's common that the numbers don't line up. Numbered engines were used for spares, exchange, race, etc. as well.

Your body and engine number differ 140, the only way to tell if your car is matching is obtaining the Kardex.

Richard

Engine and body numbers?

Engine and body numbers?
    911 Quest, I've only heard of matching body to engine numbers from Italian hand built cars and - maybe - weren't there some of those mid-sixties Detroit muscle cars?

It appears that the sequencing of numbers from a 901/911 body to a similar corresponding engine numbers was not a priority at the factory.

During the manufacturing of the first Porsche 900 series cars in 1964/1965 there was a good amount of engine experimentation, testing and teardown, rebuilt and reinstall. And, a very random order as to how they were married to the cars.

The lowest number engine to be fitted into a 901 car was engine number #900 101. It was installed into the very first production car #300 007, then changed to engine #900 157 prior to leaving the factory.

That same engine #900 101 left the factory a month later in car #300 073.

Here is photo from Tobias book showing the first page of the records for car/engine/transmissions and the date of manufacture. The first 10 bodies shared 14 engines and 17 transmissions. And yes, almost all of those crossed out and rewritten engine and transmission numbers were installed into following bodies.

In reviewing this information, the closest to any numbers matching were car number #004, engine #104 and trans #005, or car #013, with engine #113 and trans #014 or car number #010, engine #110 and trans #011. It appears any close sequence of numbers was purely happenstance.

How about that for some trivia?

Sorry I don't have any further info on cars past the end of January. The spacing between car body and engines seems very inconsistent from both 10 numbers (car #413 with engine #423) to the next car produced at a 142 numbers difference (car #367 with engine #509) on January 27, 1965.

Congrats on you early car #300 688. To anyone that has experienced these early cars they are a blast. Bring it out to play.

Edit for schpelling!

Bob
    300 149
    306 956S
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

"Tobias Book" I have never heard of this, what is it?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Tobias Aichele

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic, he is Tobias Aichele and he has writen a number of books on Porsche history. His first took a number of years to be translated into english:
    "Porsche 911, Forever Young"
    "Porsche 911, Engine History and Development"
    and a tribute book "Huschke von Hanstein - The Racing Baron" which includes a related part of Porsche history.
    Bob
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks Bob for the insight Iam really interested in learning all these little things that very people know Thanks again

Just to provide some support, my numbers matching '69S has a divergence of 49 numbers between the engine and chassis. My car was the 31st LWB 'S' built, so it was pretty early in the production run. The engine is obviously the larger number. I'd imagine as the production runs got longer, the numbers diverged even more, as engines were pulled off of the line for racing purposes or for not meeting spec.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389