Thread: SoCal Paint Shop

SoCal Paint Shop

Good morning. I was hoping that the list could help me with a reference or two? My father in law owns a 1972 T (he is a 911s reg member) that he is eventually going to have painted. We have been trying to locate some reputable paint shops (searching chat topics and reading magazines) in the socal area and have found a few. For instance, we are going to visit Willhoit. But were wondering if there was some other shops that have been used by members that we could visit/talk to?
    From what we can tell, car was either viper or conda originally. The paint plate has been painted over and the CofA is on a slow boat from Germany. Car is currently silver.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,

Gary
    59 356A

More than Original
    Try Automotive Innovations and Restoration 15020 Oxnard St. unit E Van Nuys, Ca. 91411 (818) 786 2181. He posts on Pelican (KevinP73) and paints 911s all the time, he can also do body work including flares. Do a search over on Pelican to see his work and get some testimonials.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

I know where NOT to go

AutoBahn (sp?) in Costa Mesa..on Baker

LONG story...just see the doors on my narrow body 911
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Gary,

Unfortunately the body and paint trade is THE most inconsistent in the car world….
    Sometimes even the good ones…

If your thinking in Willhoit's league you're thinking in the right direction….

Go with recommendations, and also consider that shops that take work 'off the street' bid and schedule 'completes' differently then collision work … so even at the best and most efficient shops, be prepared for a long stay… and a much lighter wallet...

For instance, today I would guess the cost of materials only for a two stage Glasso prim, prep, color, and clear coat complete would be close to $2000.00...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Where are you located at? You should check out Pristine Motorsports in Hunt Beach. They have extensive experience with early 911's and do exquisite work. I know several early 911's that have been recently had complete paint jobs (NOT cheap!!!) and it is very, very good work and the owners are, from what they have shared with me, totally satisfied. Check out their website:

http://www.pristinemotorsports.com/
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Thumbs up Pristine

I have see J.R.'s car, GREAT job on the Red Rooster...

BTW: congrats on your personal best at CFoS. Fun hanging with you in the pits
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Thanks for the replies, keep em comin! The car is in Simi Valley.

Brace's auto body in Culver City:

He just moved to a new location from the Marina
    11855 Teale St. Culver city
    310-823-2474

Brace did my car 23 years ago, and some iatrogenic repair work over the years. He does excellent work. His shop manager Gary can be a bit cantankerous though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

I can second KevinP at Innovations, he did some color blending on a fender for me to match original paint on rest of the car and it is dead on. very reasonable also. Nice guy too.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser