Thread: Fold Down Pocket Install Procedure?

Fold Down Pocket Install Procedure?

In the past I have struggled to install the fold down pockets on my 70.

Does anyone have a procedure for getting proper allignment and bungy tension?

I will be installing NOS pockets next time so I want to do this properly with out damaging them.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Hmmm...

Please guys. I am serious. I really struggle with these damb things.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Bob, are you in Vancouver, WA? If so, I'm only 100 miles or so South of you.
    C'mon down with your car & the pockets, and we'll try to figure it out using my car as a base example. Shouldn't be too complicated. (Famous last words)
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Bob,

Let me try,

Attach pocket with 4 flat head Philips on the lower hinges first... the hinges have some adjustment in them. Tighten the screws snug enough to hold the pocket in place, but still have it loose enough to adjust. Close the pocket with either the snap lock on the right side on or off (easier if it's off) and position the pocket so it fits evenly all around and snug up close to the bottom of the armrest. When everything is 'happy' open the pocket and tighten the hinge screws, and reattach the snap lock if you took it off.... after all this is done and the pocket is where it needs to be, you can then open the pocket and attach the bungee.

Hope this helps ...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The tip I'd add to that is not too tight on the bungee...that's how the pockets get torn out on the back side. Only tight enough to function...no tighter.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks guys.

When I bought my car the bungies were long gone. Would you happen to have any pics of the proper lacing of the bungy from end to end?

The way that I laced it.... From the inside of the pocket, through the hole, into the sheet metal pocket lock plate, accross the door, out through the arm rest hole and back into the pocket...

This lacing seems to make sense but then I have no way of getting my hand in to stretch the bungy and adjust the little retainer.

I can only imagine that I am missing something here that makes it much easier.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Okay Bob, I'm back from the garage...here's a description of the bungee threading of my driver's side door pocket: Forward holes,there is a short bit of excess bungee stuck through the top hole. Following the cord's path, it's next threaded through the two holes of the little oval plastic tensioner, then the cord exits out the the lowest forward pocket hole. From there, it runs in the forward metal door hole and out the rearward door metal hole. Then out through the rearmost pocket hole, then through both holes of another oval plastic tensioner, then poke the excess through the most forward of the rear pocket holes. Sorry...no digital camera here, but I hope this makes sense to you. It seems to me you may be missing the plastic tensioner pieces...black plastic, oval shaped, a hole on each end for the cord to pass through, maybe 3/4" long by 1/2" wide, rounded at the ends. Shouldn't be hard to fabricate, but if you can find a good parts counter person, he should know what they are. Maybe call Stoddards or Pelican?

Thanks Paul,

Your description is great and yes I do have the little pieces with the two holes.

The final question I have is how do you put tension on the bungy after it is all treaded through?

Maybe I am wrong but to me the sheet metal clip is what holds the front of the pocket in and the bungy is what holds the rear of the pocket in tight. With my old pockets I could not get the bungy stetched enough to pull the rear of the pocket in since I had to have the pocket open to tension the bungy. I was thinking maybe there was a way to tension the bungy with the pocket closed to generate the required pull on the pocket.

Maybe with new pockets little bungy force is required???

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Because of the fear of tearing the pocket, I just let the rear edge hang a little loose...by say 1/4" or so. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. Don't overtighten...that's how the pockets get torn...especially if they are wet. (edit) Don't use a stonger than original bungee either...another way to tear them. All this is info gleaned from a trusted mechanic...