Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break in for rebuilt engine

Break in for rebuilt engine

Hello all,

I just got my car home and I need advice on engine break in. I did a search and I'm surprised that I didn't find any posts.

The engine is a 2.2 with Webers and a Solex cam that had a top end rebuild. It probably has a total of 100 miles on it now. How should I drive it for the first 1000 miles?

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

There is really two ways I have heard one is the slow and steady speed you know keep it under 55 and so on The other is drive it like you normally would I would ask the person who put it toghter

I've heard both too. The manual says to keep the RPM below 5000 and avoid full throttle for the first 600 miles and then increase with some full throttle bursts up to 5500 RPM up to 1000 miles, then up to 6000 until 1200 miles. The shop that did my car is fantastic, but primarily a race shop so I thought I'd get the opinions of this very knowledgeable group.

Thanks,
    Alan

One thing I'd suggest is dino oil at first, with more frequent oil changes than suggested....
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Drive it like you stole it ...

Seriously, I say just drive it like you normally would. The motor will then "break in" to the way you drive.

THEN drive it like you stole it.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Heat cycling the rings gets them seated. I've done pulls through 2nd, 3rd and 4th and then coast the bike down to cool it. I do this 4 or 5 times and I go home and dump the oil. I've never had a BMW (motorcycle) engine fail to seat the rings.

Good luck,

Tom

Very interesting...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B
    The engine is a 2.2 with Webers and a Solex cam that had a top end rebuild.
    Since it was just the top end, and if the cams and rockers were not replaced, you really don't have anything to break in. So I would say drive it like normal.
    $.02
    Joe
    Now - 1993 C2
    Past - 1968 911L

engine breakin

I built a 2.2S specs with carbs. My mechanic had me keep it under 5k for first 500 miles then said drive it normal but not at a steady speed, i.e. speed up and back off as it helps rings to seat. He also had me drive it up a long hill (2-3 miles) at freeway speeds to heat and help seal the rings. Ran great after the 1st thousand miles.

Michael