Thread: Stubborn 73.5...

Stubborn 73.5...

Just curious how many of you out there with CIS cars have general cold start issues. Idles real rough when started- after driving it a bit, it shapes up, but it's the cold start and occassional hot starts that are really a struggle. I'm only able to start it with a few pumps of the pedal and the throttle up. Curious about others who have experienced this problem and what was done to alleviate it. Don't know if this is just the way it is or if there's something that can be done...

Kalied,

You shouldn't have to be pumping while starting. Have you tried starting the car per the owner's manual?
    Starting cold: foot off of the pedal, pull the hand throttle all the way up. Crank the car. When it starts, run it to 4500 rpm (using your foot) and then release the gas and hand throttle. Idle the car at 1200-1400 rpm until it warms up. (I don't do the 4500 and 1200 rpm part but lower the hand throttle enough to keep it idling at 700-800 rpm. Eventually it warms up enough to take the hand throttle completely off. I can't/don't want to imagine what running it to 4500 rpm right after starting is doing to the bearings.
    Starting hot: Fully depress the accellerator pedal and crank away. Release the pedal as soon as it starts. If it is hot out and the engine is warm, turn the ignition on for 5 seconds prior to starting. If you have just shut it down within a few seconds and are restarting immediately, you can skip the 5 second part.
    If this doesn't work then it may be time for a good tune up. Good luck. Hope that helps,

Steve

Thanks for the help Steve- the part about "foot off the pedal" during a cold start is the issue because it won't start at all unless that's done. The starter will keep cranking w/o any results...don't know if a new cold start valve is worth buying in trying to address the issue- you're probably right- a tune-up may be in order...

Thanks again
    MT

Sounds like the cold start valve. My car did the same thing when I first got it. Cold start valve was not even hooked up. My mechanic hooked it up and it has been starting good since (Going on four years now). Great running cars once you get them dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircool
    Sounds like the cold start valve. My car did the same thing when I first got it. Cold start valve was not even hooked up. My mechanic hooked it up and it has been starting good since (Going on four years now). Great running cars once you get them dialed in.
    Ditto

CIS cars are also very sensitive to "bad gasoline". Water is a killer.

Good luck,

Tom

I have been running Chevron Techron through mine every 3000 miles or so and have had very good results, even over the winter. I just fill the tank prior to putting it away. It may sit for a few months but starts right up.

Easy fix or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Aircool
    Is the cold start valve something that's easily swapped out or is it a bit of a project? I'm asking because while I know where it's located, I have absolutely no idea what's involved and don't want to create a debacle- as always, any info is much appreciated

Give this website a look. It has diagrams and a troubleshooting page. It should give you a good idea of what you are dealing with:

http://members.rennlist.com/jimwms/CIS/CIShome.html

I believe you can just swap it out with no adjustment needed.