Thread: Swinging the rear

Swinging the rear

I need to do a quick poll: How many out there intentionally push the rear end around on their 911 just for fun?
    Every weekend I take my girlfriend down to the beach at Corona del mar to walk the sunset, and there is one 90 degree corner on the way that I like to burp the throttle and break the rear end as I go around. I think it is a hoot. I always correct in time to bring it back but my girlfriend thinks this is completely unacceptable. This may be grounds for breaking up, and I wanted to check if others have this issue... minor thirlls are all I have left.
    SCOTT

sounds like there might be pedestrians or bicycles down there??

If so, slow down and find another corner.

If not, then...
    Next time, go thru the corner slow and see if she says anything.

If so, just say -- oh I didn't have the usual safe sight distances today so I slowed way down. That is your opening for a long conversation about how you are really a very safe, aware driver....

Telling her a bunch of other crazies like to do it too is a non-starter. If she is over 14, she has learned that male hominids are not good judges of safe behavior and she will respond accordingly.

If she is not over 14, you have other problems...

If that's grounds for breaking up, save yourself the time and money and dump her now!!! It's only going to get ALOT rougher when you get married and have kids.

P.S. I try not to lose my rear end. It's a bad habit to get into. Deliberately losing it once or twice just to know what the threshold is is fine. But making a habit of it ain't good either - unless of course you're just trying to piss off your girfriend....

It's good clean fun in the right place; I've done it a few times on hairpins to point the nose. Useful and entertaining as long as Smokey isn't watching.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I like the idea of going around it really slowly next time... sort of by contrast showing how boring life can be. To put your mind at ease -- there are no pedestrians around -- its a portion of road with no sidewalks on the backside of a hillside (no houses, empty road). Maybe there is a happy medium of only being silly half the time.

I used to,but the older I get, the harder it is to do...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The solution is simple....dump the girlfriend and put an inflatable date in the passenger seat. Knock yourself out compadre!
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Where do you get those inflatibles?