Thread: Vin Swap Alert

Exclamation Vin Swap Alert

Here is one for the archives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the best picture of the VIN. Maybe someone else can enhance the pic better. I can't quite make it out. Initially I thought 91132xxx but, then wouldn't be an S. I do make out the S in the type box.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

The "S" in the type box has nothing to do with whether its an S or not.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Appears to be 9113200747
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

I wonder if the seller has a clue that tampering with a VIN plate is a FEDERAL FELONY...let alone selling one. FWIW, the numbers belong to a 1973 911E. Coupe, if I'm not mistaken.

(edit) FWIW, I just sent a link to this thread to the FBI. For some weird reason I'm really down on those who are commiting, and promote, VIN fraud. I'm NOT sorry if I'm stepping on toes as far as this subject is concerned.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

My $0.02,
    Anyone foolish enough to spend $45k+ on a car just because the owner says it's ans "S" and the riveted on VIN plate states "S" deserves to lose their money.
    With all of the nice 912's floating around out there for under $10k, and the relative simplicity of swapping VIN plates for a seasoned early 911 crook (and there are at least a half dozen selling on EBay on any given week), and the volume of used S parts still floating around, theonly way to really know you have an early S is:
    1) C of A from the mother ship
    2) Lots of documentation on the car going back at least 20 years
    3) Buying the car from the original with a title that was issued back in the late 60's/early 70's.
    4) Buying Paul's irish green 1972 911S

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic
    The "S" in the type box has nothing to do with whether its an S or not.
    I beg to differ. The correct plates are embossed differently for T, E, S, SC. In the type box it says "type 911 S" Has anyone seen 911T VIN plates on an E or S with E or S VINs?

No matter what the VIN number looks like (looks messed with to me) the type box I can make out clearly. Definitely S. I've seen the seller's ID before but, don't know who it is. I requested better photos and the VIN but, I doubt I'll get any response.

I'm alright with someone selling something like this if the intent is to get an original plate, fill in the old VIN and restamp an original VIN for the correct car as a restoration if the original plate for the car is damaged. I'd just like to get the original VIN from this plate documented to avoid the creation of a car.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

We can hope this is a case of ignorance of the law, and he changes his thinking about VIN plates. This has been linked here before, but bears repeating:
    http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)