Thread: Windshield leakage and rust

Windshield leakage and rust

My '66 had a chronic leak on the passenger side, every winter I would have a significant slosh slosh, and I would simply take out the front carpets, leave them in the garage for the winter, and carry lots of paper towel with me! I fixed the problem by lifting the edge of the WS gasket seal and loading in black silicon sealer. Now that I have the windshield seal gasket cut back for paint prep, I can see that there are small holes at the lower corner of the windshield, and I'm sure these were draining inside the car.

My question: Is there a place these were SUPPOSED to drain, or is the interior of the car the "normal" place the water ends up? If so, isn't this creating a major internal rust problem? Is there any way to protect this internal area?

thanks!

Adam Reed
    '66 612, 480K miles (current 912 registry record holder I believe)
    2.2L T4 power lightweight rocket!

Adam, as the windshield rubber shrinks over time it allows water behind it. Your window needs to be removed, the rust cut out and metal replaced. There is no need for a drain because water shouldn't be there! I've never understood why body shops are so squeamish about removing 911 windows for paint, it's so easy. Also, you can pretty much plan on finding the same thing when you remove the rear one.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

gaskets etc. (long)

Tom, actually my car is in quite good shape rust-wise. I cut back the windshield and rear window gaskets specifically so that I could inspect those channel areas and did in fact have a rusted out area in the right rear channel (the windsheld seal channel is perfect). I had a welder friend help me clean up that area as well as several other small rust holes that are pretty typical for an early 911 body (and have been bondo'd over for the last 20+ years). The front pan I had replaced about 20 years ago, and that's been pretty much it. Rather remarkable for a car that spent most of its life in Southern California near the beach, and more recently in rainy Southern Oregon!

That "body shop" you are referring to is me, actually! I'm not squeamish or lazy about removing the windows, I've done it several times in the 35 years I have been the owner of this car. It's not difficult to do, however, I am still driving the car during this year-long process of stripping at least 5 coats of paint and mucho Bondo. If you were at Gary Emory's Porsche campout last year, you saw my car. Believe me, its cosmetic faults were there for all to see!

The windshield has cracks inflicted by rock impact during daily 50 mile commutes up and down I-5, and definitely would not survive repeated removal/reinstallation. This car has had a hard life on the street as a daily driver. Once I'm done restoring this lumpy body, the windshield is definitely coming out...but only once, just before it goes to the painter. Then after paint, a new headliner, windshield , and front/rear gaskets. This'll be the THIRD time I've gone down this road. I still haven't found anything near affordable that's more fun to drive than this old baby, so I keep'er going! Seeing as how I got laid off in February and am building my own business, I expect to continue to do most of the work myself.

What was my question, again? Oh yeah... The factory put drain holes in the corners of the lower windshield channel, knowing that seals DO dry out, and that water is going to have to go somewhere. Where is that somewhere? And...is it possible to do rust restoration/prevention or even gain access to that water-flow path without major surgery? I certainly am not comfortable with the idea of simply slapping a new windshield and gasket on the car and hoping that it never leaks again (fat chance! says Miss Experience). Short of sticking a piece of coat hanger wire down one of the holes to see where it comes out, I have no idea where that water is channeled...inquiring minds want to know!

I may have to make a pilgrimage to Gary Emory's Porsche boneyard and tear into a corpse or two to answer this question, but I figured someone here must have done surgery on the windshield area and come across an answer.

cheers
    Adam

So many questions, so few answers....

No holes in my '67

I've got the winshields out of my '67 and I don't see any drainage holes.

I don't think these holes are a good idea. If there is enough water present to justify these holes the winshield is not sealed properly. If that much water is getting in, you are going to get rust even with the drain holes, as the water will work its way back along the seam.

Best bet is to finish your paint job, replace the windshield seal and then squirt/pack the gaps with as much windshield putty/sealer as you can, particualrly in the problem corners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Just found this older thread and found it useful. Even more useful (and not just because I contributed to it) is this one on Pelican...
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=330161
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)