Thread: Electric (power) antenna - pics, etc, please.

Electric (power) antenna - pics, etc, please.

I know we've beaten location to death on this issue, but I am wondering what they look like. Were they chrome? Are correct replacements still made?

If you have a car with an original automatic antenna, some close-up photos would be greatly appreciated. You will get double mega kudos if you have pics of the antenna from inside the fender. Drum roll please...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I can't believe no one answered your post. I was hoping to get some info myself. My car came originally with an automatic antenna, and it still has one, I'm just not sure if it's the correct one (or the original one), since mine is black.
    Henry

The problem with the electrical antenna is one its heavier than non power, two if you have a cassette or cd the antenna goes up because its powered by the radio, so if you just have a radio that is not a problem, but I didn't like that my antenna was up and I was just playing my cassette(no need for an antenna when your playing a cassette). I've since gotten rid of aftermarket radio and the oem power antenna, and now have a period correct Becker radio with non power oem antenna. So I'm sorry I don't have pictures but the power antenna is mounted on the right fender, because there is no room on the left side for the motor. I don't recall the exact location on the right fender but I think its was closer to the middle of the fender. The non power is mounted on the left side(there's room because there is no motor. Oh and my oem power antenna was chrome, but they do also come in black. Hope this helps because its all I have to say about it . JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

No love, no love.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,

From what I have read on other posts is that those who have done the power conversion have had to install the antena on the passanger side since there is not enough room for the guts of the motor on the driver's side. If this is true, look forward to some body work.

When I was a fairly serious competitor on racing bicycles, the talk was always about how to shave an extra 1/4 ounce here or there. I always found this amusing if the person doing the talking was over weight. If the person wasn't over weight, we would usually suggest an anema before the ride so they could shed 3 pounds and save about $600 in related titanium bits.

Rick
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Yeah, I know surgery is invloved. I just want to get the car back to its COA.

If one enema does the trick, two must be better right?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Better ask your proctologist or another qualified medical professional.

I didn't even know power antenas were available on our cars in those days. Learn something new every day.

Usually if I post something - I later learn it is wrong after someone corrects me. So even if I don't know the answer, I just answer the post anyway (as a public disservice) and wait for the correction. We will now wait for your answer....

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Hope this helps...

Out of Volume II of the service manuals...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thank you Chuck for keeping the magic alive.