Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excellence Magazine Responds...

Excellence Magazine Really Responds...

Since I've not heard from Don in two hours, and he was diligent to post my comments last night and shoot me an email I only got this morning telling me he would post parts of my response here, I feel compelled to post the email I sent in response. I have also called him this morning, to no avail.

I have only removed his personal info.

Sincerely,

Pete Stout

Don,

To say that I am frustrated that you violated my trust
    by posting my PERSONAL email to YOU (noted as such) by
    publishing it -- in whole or in part -- on the web
    would be putting it mildly. When readers write in but
    ask that their letters not be published, you can be
    sure that I honor their requests.

And, for the record, Excellence does NOT operate via
    the dubious practices of so much media. When Wolfgang
    Durheimer goes "off the record," it's off the record.

So that I may defend myself and clarify my answers, I
    ask that you post this email in its entirety
    (inlcluding the above) on the Early 911S Registry
    forum thread that you have started based on my email
    to you. If you are unwilling to do so, then I will
    join the Registry to post it.

I will also, from here forward, need to more carefully
    consider responding to readers' letters.

The more I read the thread you have created on the
    911S Registry's Message Board, the more I am inclined
    to think there is a valid defense for Bruce's numbers.
    Hence, my quote on "the case for conservatism."

Our market values may be low compared to the visible
    and confirmed sales of many early 911s online, but
    then the cars that tend to make the "news" are usually
    extreme examples from both ends of the spectrum --
    though people sure love the highs. One must ask,
    "Why?"

Moreover, auctions results are probably only a good
    barometer of values in the auction arena -- which is
    often supercharged for "shiny" cars on one hand and
    careful/dubious of "less shiny" cars on the other.

I feel that Jim at SCM does indeed have a good handle
    on the market for these cars -- but I don't think it's
    the only handle. The smart reader would probably want
    to assemble as many research "handles" as possible
    when trying to get the most accurate assessment of the
    market. If we are the conservative example, then I am
    comfortable with that -- Excellence is conservative in
    many ways.

Also, just how many early 911s are out there with
    "all-original paint, low miles, few owners, etc.,
    etc."? My guess is not many. These cars are not
    "merely" "excellent" -- they would fall into Bruce's
    oft-noted "beyond excellent" category and thus off of
    our pricing scales. Thus, they should not be allowed
    to have TOO great an impact on the market values as a
    whole.

Early 911s are roughly four decades old now. Is an
    early 911 that's been cherished, driven 100,000 or
    even 200,000 miles, had a repaint or two, but is
    otherwise stunning not an "excellent" car? I would
    argue that it certainly can be -- and would be
    delighted to see it in a supermarket parking lot,
    Registry event, or at an R Gruppe meeting.

But how many early 911s fall well short of "excellent"
    -- or even "good"?

Early 911s are enjoying meteoric increases in value
    currently -- 8-9 years ago, I had a feeling it would
    happen someday. It is good to see them valued for
    their beauty, desirability, driving pleasure, relative
    rarity, and centrality to the Porsche legend. It is
    also sad to see early 911s pushed out of reach for
    many enthusiasts, but I suppose this is inevitable.

I wish members of the Early 911S Registry warm
    greetings from Excellence and good fortune with your
    club in the future. I regret that I felt forced to
    make my public address in this manner.

Sincerely,

Pete Stout

P.S. (Please note my confidentiality clause at the end
    of this email -- something I pointed to and added to
    in my original message to Don.)

Editor, Excellence Magazine

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this
    electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). No representation is made on its
    accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this electronic
    message. ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENT(S) IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If this message was misdirected, the author does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. Please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments from your system.

--- Don Hxxxxxxxxxx <dxxxxxxxxxxx@XXXXXXXXXX> wrote:

> Pete,
    > Thanks. I will just quote short sections. An
    > excellent 1970
    > 911S just sold on the "early 911 registry" and the
    > asking
    > price was $55k. Tell Bruce.
    >
    > Don

This thread is making my stomach turn. I hate thinking that trust between the S Regsitry and Excellence is now compromised. Excellence has been a great resource and promoter of these cars. I'd hate to see that damaged.

FWIW, Excellence is still my mag of choice and I buy it every month on the shelf.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Ed@Excellence
    STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this
    electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). No representation is made on its
    accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this electronic
    message. ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENT(S) IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If this message was misdirected, the author does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. Please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments from your system.
    Welcome Pete. I personally hope to see you post here again from time to time. Excellence is certainly part of the Early 911 community and vice versa. As for the above statement, my understanding is that unless a lawyer is addressed or copied on any E-mail with such a statement on it (such as when sharing information when preparing for litigation), this statement has essentially no value. If you said something to the effect of "please don't quote me" in your initial reply, well, that's a whole other can of worms.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    This thread is making my stomach turn. I hate thinking that trust between the S Regsitry and Excellence is now compromised. Excellence has been a great resource and promoter of these cars. I'd hate to see that damaged.

FWIW, Excellence is still my mag of choice and I buy it every month on the shelf.
    Have no worries on that score...and know that we appreciate and value criticism as much as praise. The former is more important to making Excellence better, actually -- and we can certainly still improve!

Do not think for a minute that we aren't separating the actions of one member of the Early 911S Registry from the group as a whole. You guys are serious fans of Porsche -- and that's common ground that runs deep.

If I am angry about anything, it's losing a good chunk of my morning work time to "clean up after this mess" and the fact that I must now consider readers' requests for feedback on their questions even more carefully -- or maybe just not respond to any emails at all.

How sad...

pete

Well, why not...

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    If you said something to the effect of "please don't quote me" in your initial reply, well, that's a whole other can of worms.
    Oh, I did. Here's the original email. Don's "parts of it" were actually most of it. I have only left off the last paragraph here -- and would darn sure hope Don will not post it now. I'm not particularly scared about it getting out in the open -- as it is hardly juicy or something that "attacks" Bruce -- but it'd be nice to have SOME privacy.

Forget the legality issues. The thought of having to sue another Porsche enthusiast makes MY stomach turn. I hope I'll never have to, but the wide-spread internet postings of copyrighted Excellence material and inflamatory, libel-ridden remarks published internationally on web forums with too little or no moderation may make that an inevitability.

Let's hope not.

This was a plain old matter of courtesy and ethics.

What follows is (almost all of) my original email to Don, since he's brought it out to light anyway.

Hey Don,

First, sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.
    Such is the deal with no staff on hand and letters
    that come in during deadlines.

Off the record (as in NOT for use or posting in a web
    forum), your concerns are both valid and discussed
    regularly here. My only request is this: I'm writing
    to you and you only; I'll be happy to formulate a more
    carefully laid-out repsonse if you'd like to post it
    in a forum.

Part of the problem with all of the market update
    values is that you're dealing with a nation-wide
    market with localized hotspots -- but that doesn't
    fully explain the early 911 phenomenon of the last few
    years.

Can an excellent 1969 S be found for $27,100? I
    suppose there will be cases where one or two are. Are
    your price estimates ($36,000-40,000) more realistic?
    My gut says yes, but there is a case to be made for
    conservatism...

You'll note that Bruce's estimates jump roughly 33 %
    from 2005 to 2006 -- which is a significant jump
    indeed. That said, I think that the basic numbers are
    low across the board.

Have no worries on that score...and know that we appreciate and value criticism as much as praise. The former is more important to making Excellence better, actually -- and we can certainly still improve!

Do not think for a minute that we aren't separating the actions of one member of the Early 911S Registry from the group as a whole. You guys are serious fans of Porsche -- and that's common ground that runs deep.

If I am angry about anything, it's losing a good chunk of my morning work time to "clean up after this mess" and the fact that I must now consider readers' requests for feedback on their questions even more carefully -- or maybe just not respond to any emails at all.

How sad...

pete
    Pete, I feel for you.

What ever happened to handshake agreements and verbal promises. No wonder litigation lawyers have such successful practices and can afford to drive "new" (read expensive) Porsches.This remindes me of a saying my mother told me long ago - "You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, use them in that proportion".

Bruce B.

suppose there will be cases where one or two are. Are
    My gut says yes, but there is a case to be made for
    conservatism...

indeed. That said, I think that the basic numbers are
    low across the board.
    Okay, while we're at it, here's what I probably SHOULD have said had I known Don would disregard my email:

suppose there will be cases where SOME CAN BE. Are
    My gut says "PERHAPS," but there is a case to be made for
    conservatism...

indeed. That said, I think that the basic numbers MAY BE
    low across the board.

There, I feel much better now...

Oh, and thanks for your welcome and warm feelings. They are shared here as well. Know that I'd love to join in from time to time on many of the boards, as I think they are some of the coolest parts of the Porsche community. But, with no staff and a magazine to get out the door every 5-6 weeks, I usually don't have time to do so.

Also, with so much at stake -- and so many waiting to find a crack in whatever I might write to exploit -- the time spent to craft postings and all of the potential headaches mean I'm better off just lurking...

Of course, they'll find the cracks in print anyway (hey, we're human -- so there are plenty of them!) and exploit them.

So instead of having fun, friendly posts to share, my rare appearances in web forums usually come on sour occasions. That's a bummer...

Sometimes, when stuff like this gets posted online and I get no Letter to the Editor from the poster, I have to wonder if, at some level, he or she intends to really help the magazine improve or even just to complain. Or are they making themselves look smart in front of others?

So I'll give Don one thing -- at least he wrote me. But maybe that makes the events that followed even worse.

Whatever, I better stop posting now lest I wear out my welcome. And I need to get back to work.

Oh, and I need an editor -- sorry for the long-winded responses, but it takes time to make 'em shorter.

pete

Excellent exchange of opinion, here. I have been an Excellence subscriber since 1990, bought my first issue in 1989, and I've enjoyed and kept every one.

I think that BA's reporting on pricing is careful, as it should be. It would be a disservice to the hobby if he were to drive prices up by rushing to report inflated prices in his column. While some may enjoy old Porsches for price speculation, I enjoy driving and caring for them. Thanks, Bruce!
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

First post here (and the 5th or 6th from the original, deleted thread) edited to remove Don's last name to protect his privacy.

Post has been reestablished for the informational purposes of letting readers and 911S Registry board participants have an eye into Excellence's view on its Market Update series -- which are often questioned/debated.

Thanks,

pete

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh

Hell, I just send a subscription check...for the longest period of time. Probably because small towns don't seem to have EXCELLENCE on every magazine rack. I agree on the upset tummy, BTW...But those who upset my tummy will never have a clue why they do.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)